2 or 4gb...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macman784, Dec 22, 2007.

1. macman784 macrumors newbie

Ok, so i am planning on upgrading the RAM in my MacBook from 1gb to either 2 or 4gbs... but my question is, will i really see a big difference between the two sizes.. will more RAM boost the X3100 performance in Graphicly Intense programs..?:confused:

thanks

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You will only see a difference if your running demanding tasks and i don't think it will make to much of a difference for the graphics.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. macman784 thread starter macrumors newbie

Eidorian, isn it better to have the same amount of RAM, for example, 2x1gb, than 2gb and a 512mb for instence..

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd go with more RAM.

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

there might be a difference when testing through xbench or similar when comparing 2x1GB and 1x2GB, but 2.5GB will perform better than 2GB either way.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Xbench is a joke.

8. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

9. Josheua macrumors regular

Yes, by using the exact same (paired) modules you can maxamize performance by allowing the mac to operate in optimal conditions using the dual-channel architecture. Under this combination, both portions of memory can access the memory controller, increasing memory bandwidth and overall performance. So it would be much better if you bit the bullet and got the 4gigs of memory. Not only would this provide better performance under multi-tasking conditions, but as opposed to, lets say, a 3 gig set up, you will be able to use the dual-channel architecture to boost performance ontop of this. Overall this is your best choice (not to mention prices for this memory upgrade from crucial or OWC are great these days!)

-Josh :apple:

10. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Check an see if you are paging out a lot of data. I know on my MBP w/ 15 Firefox tabs open, CS3, iChat, and mail running I've easily still got 750megs of ram left over from my 2gigs.
    I would say if you have an extra $75-100 sitting around then go for the 4gigs, otherwise just stick with what you have until you need more.

11. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

I went for 4 and have not regretted it! the prices have come down so far, now is the time to jump!

12. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Looking around it looks like you mind aswell just get 4GB it so cheap

13. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

As pointed out there us no reason not to max out the memory with RAM being so cheap. You will no doubt see a huge difference in 4gigs as opposed to having just 2gigs.

14. sevimli macrumors 6502a

Just give me a couple examples of these "huge" differences? :cool:

If you are a normal user you WON'T understand the difference, you will effected physiologically by having 4gb of ram that's it.

I am sorry but this is the fact. :)

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

man i wish i could get 4. you lucky sob's haha

16. SavageMac macrumors member

there is NO excuse to not get 4GB of RAM.

I got mine for $77 after $40 rebate from Newegg (and yes I did get my rebate).

More is always better, especially with RAM and HDD space.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

unless your machine is limited to 2 haha

18. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

Wow. Awfully presumptuous of you to call this "fact", don't you think? Mine's topped out w/4G, and I'm actually paging!

It all depends entirely on what you're doing with the Mac. For some users that're just surfing/emailing, they may never notice the difference. For others that spend time with Photoshop running, Parallels or VMWare running, etc, they can't possibly have enough RAM in their machines.

I agree with the posters who say "max it out!" RAM's cheap. Find out what your machine can address, and max it out.

jas

19. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

probably, but my point was you probably won't notice a difference in the real world; differences come down to numbers in benchmarks.

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

While I do enjoy synthetics just like anyone else I'm a little more concerned about real world performance.

21. hajime macrumors 68030

I upgraded from 2 to 4gb few days ago. I noticed a slight increase in overall performance under Mac OS X (perhaps 5 to 10%). I tried a 3D application under vmware. There is no noticeable increase in performance.