2 OS X installations on one mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skippymac, Oct 5, 2012.

1. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

If I were to put a HDD in place of my superdrive and install OSX on it, could I boot from that version or the other version?

If so would each install be able to see the other hard drive? If they can is there a way to stop this?

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you can install as many Mac OS X versions as you want on one Mac if you have enough partitions. I have one external HDD with four Mac OS X versions on in case I need to troubleshoot.

And yes, each Mac OS X system can see the other, but it will not interfere with each other, unless there is another reason for you to hide one from the other.

3. skippymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

The reason I'd rather they didn't see each other is that one will be for work and one (current) for personal. Work requires filevault 2 and other encryption stuff and has some restrictions, and I THINK that if the 2 drives can access each other I'm supposed to apply the same restrictions to the other one as well (defeating the point of the other install).

Can you advise me on this issue? I just want to separate them as much as I can... I'd buy another mac if i had the money :p