2 Part Problem: New Ram in XP and videocards

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by faketom, Oct 17, 2007.

1. faketom macrumors newbie

I have a mac pro quad 3ghz, with Geforce 7300 GT bought upon release,

I have since upgraded the RAM to 5 GB.

When I am running Windows XP, however, it does not recognize my new RAM (it says there is only 1.98gbs) and some programs (namely games) run more slowly than they should with 5 gigs of RAM.

(Don't bash me for using a workstation for gaming just yet! I utilize OSX and the pro video software primarily professionally, it is just that there are slow times in every industry and a guy's gotta have fun too right? especially with such an expensive piece of hardware.)

I am looking to get another videocard as well, what is the slickest couple of DX10 cards that will make this thing kick ass???

As for the RAM problem, this seems like a configuration error, any help is appreciated.

And finally, should I be running Vista instead of XP on this machine? primary use of Windows is for gaming IMHO ;)

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

The Nvidia 8800 GTX is a good card, though you wouldn't be able to boot Mac OS X with it.

3. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

If it's a 32 bit version of XP it won't recognize more than 2 gigs of RAM. Don't sweat it. But at the same time, don't do something foolish by getting a 64 bit XP. You'll probably hit huge compatibility problems.

As far as Vista, if you go with a 64 bit version you'll have all your RAM recognized. Also, as of now, Vista is the only way to get DirectX 10. But I read somewhere that it was proven that you don't "need" Vista for DX10. In other words, Micro$oft could release DX10 on XP if they wanted to. They just won't because they want you to buy Vi$ta. Additionally, there hasn't been too much benefit seen in the DX10 arena, other than improved smoke and shadowing.

4. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Windows XP (32bit) doesn't recognize that much RAM. It has a theoretical limit of 4gb of addressable RAM space (which means if you have a 512mb graphics card you're down to a theoretical 3.5gb of RAM). In practice, the limit is even lower than that, alot of PCs don't seem to recognise over 3gb.

To recognize your full 5gb, you need 64bit WInXP or Vista x64.

As for gaming, I would stick to WinXP for the moment as it's quicker and has more mature drivers. If you get a DirectX10 graphics card for whatever reason, then you would need to get Vista to play DirectX10 games (your directX10 graphics will still happily play DirectX 9 games on WinXP).

5. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Originally, Microsoft were changing how graphics memory is addressed and managed in DirectX 10 so it was necessary to make it Vista only. however, they have recanted on this (IIRC because NVidia couldn't make it work in their current gen) so you are right, there is now no technical reason why it can't be backported to WinXP.

6. faketom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everybody.

I am beginning to see the pattern and why everyone is so pissed about the lack of supported cards for the mac pro.

So basically, If I spend a few hundred bucks on a great video card it won't work on the OSX side of my computer, thus not helping me with any mac-based work I need to do, making my investment benfit only the microsoft-owned half of my computer?!?

What the hell is Apple thinking not supporting more cards, kind of shooting themselves in the foot on this one.

So by not having my XP side recognize all of my RAM does this mean that the unrecognized 3 gigs are just sitting there dormant?

7. krunk macrumors regular

The best card you can get is going to bet the ATI 1900 XT. I don't think they make them anymore in retail, but you might find one on ebay or some such.

This card will be significantly better then your current one...and the best you can do.