2 partitions, Lion Ok, can't install Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kidstretch, Sep 20, 2011.

1. kidstretch macrumors member

I have 2011 13" Macbook Pro, i managed to make 2 partitions using a USB stick (which is partitioned and has Lion installer on one partition and Snow Leopard on the other partition, using it instead of DVD).
    Lion installed just fine, but when i try to install SL, pressing the SL installer gives me this error:

You can't use this version of the application Install Mac OS X with this version of Mac*OS*X.You have Install Mac OS X 23.1.

When i try to press alt when the Mac is starting up and choosing the SL partition of the USB stick, it gives me a kernel panic screen (press the button to shutdown and restart).
    Same with a boot DVD, pressing C when starting up.

Any solution to install the SL on the partition?

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Have you created 2 partitions on your hard disk ? Are they both GUID ?

I assume you are going to install Snow Leopard on your hard drive ?

What version of 10.6 is it and where did it come from ?

Your MacBook is very recent and may well have a minimum operating system of 10.6.6 or whatever - why are you not using the original grey OSX install dvds that shipped with the MacBook since they will at least have the minimum version of Snow Leopard on them....

3. kidstretch thread starter macrumors member

both partitions are guid.
    i guess it's an old 10.6 version, the macbook came with lion installed.

can i upgrade to 10.6.8 on the usb stick somehow?

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You will need to check the specs on everymac.com for your exact MacBook model.

The minimum OS is likely to be 10.6.6 so you will need that before you can install 10.6. The kernel panic must be because it recognises a 10.6 installer earlier than 10.6.6.

You may have to buy a Snow Leopard dvd must check that it is at least 10.6.6.

There is no way to update the Snow Leopard installer that I know of...