2 partitions os and storage make iMac faster?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brendu, May 23, 2009.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

hey im experienced with everything mac but this just came to me today and i dont know the answer. Would an al-iMac run faster if i partitioned the 320gig HDD so that OSX was loaded on like 50 gigs and then i used the rest as a seperate partition where i store all my media. Would this keep the main osx partition snappier?

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

On which partition would you store your library files? Wouldn't they have to be on your OS partition, and then you would have to leave room for them to grow. I think you could slow it down by doing it that way, but thats just my guess. Honestly, I think it would cause more problems that it would help in any speed type way.

3. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

good thoughts, thanks... not gonna waste my time, the comp is plenty fast already.

4. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

I think it is a good idea. My IT department gave me a Dell XPS desktop a few years a go to take home and they split the hard drive into three partitions. One was Windows. The next was where I would install new programs and the third is just simply titled "data". It knows where to put the files such as when I install a program, it auto puts it on the second partition. They suggested that I do this and I kind of like it better.

Don't know if that helps.