2 phones, 2 sims, one number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockstarjoe, Apr 28, 2008.

1. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Hi... apologies if this has been posted before, hopefully this isn't a dumb question. I currently have a RAZR with AT&T. If I buy an iphone it comes with it's own SIM card. Since I already have an AT&T account and a phone with a SIM card, what happens when I activate the iphone? Does it de-activate my old SIM card? Or, when I receive a phone call, will both phones ring? Will I be able to use the RAZR or the iPhone (i hate my phone right now but it would be nice to use it if I was going someplace where i wouldnt' want to take the iphone, like the pool). Thanks for any info!

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The SIM in your RAZR will be deactivated once you activate your iPhone.
    If go somewhere that you're not comfortable in brining your iPhone, just pop the SIM out of the iPhone and put it in your RAZR.
    I do it all the time. There are places where bringing an iPhone is just not practical.

3. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

it is impossible to have two sims activated on same number however i pop my sim out of iphone occasionally and i use it in my sony ericsson W880i when i am running from office to office, as i can keep this in my hand and merely slide up phone to answer as i get so many calls.

4. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

You can have only one phone number.

Like the previous poster said, you can easily swap out the sim to another phone.

If you like you could have a different phone for each day of the month and simply put your sim in a different phone whenever you feel inlined to do so.

5. rockstarjoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Thanks for all of the quick replies! Now I just have to play the waiting game for a few more weeks... come on June! :D

6. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

couldn't you clone the sim card if you really wanted to?

7. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

and supposing the Phone is ringing on would it ring on clone too? and sms would go to both phones.. interesting... i think u can do this. but only one on at a time.. much better than swapping sim..

8. rockstarjoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I've heard that carriers throw a fit if you clone your sim... not sure how they would know though.

9. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

i dont think they would be able to find out very easily at all..

10. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Actually, they can find out very easily.
    When you see two signals with the same IMEA pop-up on a tower or two different towers, they will know.
    This is also illegal and you could end up getting your SIM card black listed.
    Not worth the risk.