2 Problems with iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hikergirl, Aug 26, 2009.

1. hikergirl macrumors newbie

Hi, I need some help with iphoto.

1st - I'm not sure what I did, but now when I scroll through my library some pictures are now gray boxes with an exclamation point in them.
    I think this happened around the time that I thought I would make a new folder and put pictures in them as a way to organize them.

Does anyone know how to get the pictures to appear again instead of the gray boxes?

2nd - When I used to click on my pictures they would open up so I could edit them. Now I have to click the picture and then click edit. What do I need to do so I can just click on the picture to open it?

Please help! Thanks.

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

The gray bxes are because you changed things in the iPhoto library in finder. Users must stay out of there if they want to use iPhoto. iPhoto organizes things so that it can find the photos for you and if you change anything it cannot do its job. Stay out of the library in finder. Do anything and everything to/with your photos from the app itself. To rectify, you could try re-importing the photos from the folder you made, or a rebuild may fix it for you. Try this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2638

Foir your second question, look around in your iPhoto Preferences and see if something has changed there that would affect the behavior.

3. Rich1803 macrumors newbie

Messing with settings without knowing the end result is hazardous to your program.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

As for your second question, you probably have it set in the iPhoto General preferences to magnify the photo rather than editing the photo when double-clicking. See the toggle option in the screen:

Attached Files:

5. hikergirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for your responses. The issues of the photos not opening up when I double clicked seemed to resolve itself somehow.

When I mentioned that I had made folders to organize my pictures I actually did that while I was in iphoto. I made the folder and then I dragged pictures into it.
    I don't remember doing anything in the actual iphoto library folder. Is there another way this problem could have happened?
    I'd hate to do it again!

I'll try to rebuild it, but I need to save my pics to disc first.

6. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

If you're doing things through the iPhoto interface, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Problems are common when people don't use iPhoto to do things like move photos from one album to another (Apple has actually made it pretty difficult to find the photos, but some people are really determined to mess things up. ;)

If this does happen again, rebuilding usually fixes things.

7. Bud007 macrumors newbie

Hello all!
    reading this post it became in my mind a question regarding the files in iPhoto.
    I've checked and it seems iPhoto copies the origin image in its library. What does that mean?
    if we have IMG1 of 10MB in myImages folder when I add it to iPhoto it makes a copy of the IMG1 file to its iPhoto library which means that in my HD I use 20MB of disk space. Usually we have thousands of pictures, therefore GB and GB of disk space lost due to image dupications.
    Can anyone confirm that iPhoto manages the pictures like this?

I'm new to mac and to iPhoto, so I'm asking this just to know more about this lovely mac world.

Cheers!

8. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Yes, if you've got it set to copy items to the iPhoto library then you will be creating duplicates. If you want to avoid this, the option is in the iPhoto preferences under the Advanced tab. (I'd suggest letting things get copied into the iPhoto library, then delete the original and let iPhoto do the organizing.) iTunes also works like this.

9. Bud007 macrumors newbie

ok! cheers mate! :)
    that looks better.
    However, I think I prefer to keep the originals in my folder and iPhoto library just links to the originals. Like this I can have easy access to the original files, as iPhoto library files are not always easy to access.
    Unless there is a better reason :confused:
    Cheers !
    :apple:

10. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

One thing to consider is that you might run into the sort of problem that people first thought had happened above: if you move a photo so it isn't where iPhoto expects it to be, things start to go wrong.

Once you're used to using the Share menu (and the Export option in the File menu for more control) you'll probably appreciate how easy it is to manage your library from iPhoto.

11. scottyvideo macrumors newbie

Grey box after editing

I'm getting a grey box with the exclamation point after I edit the photo.
    If I double click to enlarge, it comes up grey and ! ... This doesn't always happen, just seems to be at the software's fancy! I haven't changed any settings & if I delete the adjustments and go back to the original photo, it's fine? It also give me an error message when I try to export to my website.
    Any clues?