2 problems with my new MBP - is this normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grkbella03, May 17, 2010.

1. Grkbella03 macrumors regular

Hey guys - as some of you know, I got a custom MBP the minute the new core i7 mbp's were released. I wanted to use it for a while to see if there was any problems. I have two things that occurs and I wanted to know if this is normal or a bad thing. One issue is the heating issue. When I play WoW, and this is without anything else running at the same time, it can go up to 85 degrees fahrenheit. Is that even normal?? The metal right under my screen/top of my keyboard gets so hot it almost can burn your finger.

Another issue I'm having, and I only have been noticing this lately. Sometimes my mail program won't even close at all. I'll go to mail, and click on quit mail and the computer won't shut down because of the Mail. Sometimes it doesnt show Mail on top and shows that it is closed so when I try to shut down my computer, it refuses to shut down because there was an error with Mail. So I have to hold down power button and shut it down that way, and force quit it. It just seems wierd and I know my friend with a iMac doesn't even have that problem. Let me know if this is even normal as well. Thanks.

2. cyclical macrumors regular

You mean celsius, right? 'Cause 85 fahrenheit is really cooool... I think 85 celsius is within expected range whilst gaming.

As for Mail, I don't use it so can't help you there.

3. Grkbella03 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow..yeah I meant to say celsius

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Temp is fine. Mail, is it running a task in the background, if it is, it won't close.

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

anything running intense graphics will make your mbp warm, i.e. youtube videos. you can always do cmd+alt to see if mail is open, if it is just cmd+q to quit. if you have to force quit then try re-setting your account on mail. hope this helped :D

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

If a Command Q doesn't shut down mail.... Click on mail to bring it to the top. On the top bar click on window and then activity. That will show mail activity. On mine nothing is happening because my mail isn't doing anything. Now click on command Q to try and shut mail down. See if the activity window captures anything you can use to help debug. Another easy thing to try is the connection doctor, again under the window menu in mail (I don't think that will tell you anything but it is easy to try).

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

why not just open the activity monitor, and kill the process manually?

I had preview hang on mine just recently and ended up just killing the process in activity monitor.

Or you can use the terminal to kill the process

kill -9 and the process id number should work

9. torpy macrumors regular

The first issue is normal.

As for the second one, I get that everyone now and then as well. Just do Command+Alt+Esc and force quit Mail.