2 problems with new MBP 13inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jshelton, Jun 14, 2009.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I love everything about this computer so far, except the screen. I have tried everything and the screen seems very very washed out. I calibrated it with no luck. The colors are very white and actually difficult to see.

Secondly, I have done something with my System Prefs folder. When I click Desktop and Screensavers, nothing is there. An error pops up and says that the application System Prefs quit unexpectedly. ???

And finally, the screen seems loose. I can pick the notebook up with the lid open, and it opens farther. It is way more loose than my white Macbook was.

Other than these minor problems, it is a great machine. Anyone have any suggestions, ideas, or advice? Thanks everyone.

2. CoffeeWarrior macrumors regular

Your macbook pro is suppose to have a great screen. If its not return it.

3. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Try reinstalling OSX. Should fix at least the 2nd problem. If it doesn't fix the first problem, return it to Apple.

4. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I second that. If that doesn't make things better take it back.

5. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Display Issue

This will sound really stupid .....

Did you remove the thin white protective foam sheet ????

Not trying to be a smartazz, but I have never seen one that was so washed out it was impossible to see.

6. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

my friend did that with his ipod, i cracked up for like 10 min.

7. John89 macrumors regular

What calibration settings did you use? If you haven't already done so, try this:
    System Prefs > Displays > Calibrate > 'Continue' > select 2.2 television gamma > select native, and save those settings.

Any better?

I used to have problems with my system preferences too. I had to and delete the prefpane in finder, repair permissions in the disk utility, and restart my mac. That fixed it for moi.

tell me how you get on.

8. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Well my 13MBP has no protective cover over the glass FYI. If it does, it's the most well put on and transparent film I've ever seen in my whole life. lol

9. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Reinstall Leopard asap, and report back to us i the problems were fixed. :D

10. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am installing OS X now and I will let you all know how it looks when it finishes.

I may have made the screen issue sound worse than it is. Things are not impossible to see, they are just washed out. I know something is wrong because the screen on my early 2009 white Macbook looked much better than this one...and it shouldn't. This is a newly updated screen that should be better than the previous, right?

11. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

The screen should look brilliant and have good viewing angle.

12. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Yeah, I'm insanely impressed with my 9CBD screen. I've been using it over my Samsung 22" because it just looks....WOW compared to the colors on the Samsung I have.

13. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

dunno if this would help, but do a p ram reset.

worth a try before nuking everything.

14. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up returning the MBP to Best Buy last night and exchanging it. I set the new one to 2.2 and native, and it seems a little better. I just have it in my head that this screen is worse than my early 2009 white MB was. Oh well. I love everything else about it!

I had a he!! of a time getting an exchange. I just bought this one on Friday. I told the customer service girl that the screen seemed washed out, and I also told her that the hinge on the screen seemed loose. She booted up the system and watched the intro video. She stood there for a minute and then carried it over to a "Geek". She brought it back over to me and said that the colors looked fine to them. I just told her they weren't and that I wanted to try a different one. She stood there and kept telling me the screen was fine. I told her I could get a refund and go buy one from Apple, and that it wasn't a big deal. She finally asked her supervisor and she approved the exchange. Ugh! Apple wouldn't have asked a single question.