2 Proposals in Sharing Peripherals between MBA and PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BiscottiGelato, Sep 17, 2011.

1. BiscottiGelato macrumors regular

I am struggling to find a way to be able to quickly dock my MBA to all my peripherals, and also share the Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse between the PC and the MBA. So far I have came up with 2 proposals. Mouse I am thinking of using is the Logitech M570 Trackball. I have not acquired the appropriate keyboard for this plan yet. Are there any other alternatives? How well will something bluetooth based work? How well will my proposed plan work? Thanks!

Proposal 1:
    - USB Switch connected to PC and MBA
    - USB Hub behind USB Switch
    - USB Mouse, Keyboard, Griffin iMic, Printer and Card Reader connected to USB Hub
    - Speakers connected to Griffin iMic
    - PC goes to VGA-in of monitor, MBA goes to DVI-in

Pro: Cheap, USB Hub and Switch are fairly inexpensive. + iMic.

Con: Not sure if all peripheral will survive constant switching between PC and MBA, especially the Griffin iMic. Either the device or driver might ack up every time I switch/dock the MBA. Need to switch USB switch and also the monitor input every time i switch between PC and MBA.

Proposal 2:
    - USB Hub connected to MBA
    - Griffin iMic, Printer and Card Reader connected to USB Hub
    - PC connected to DVI KVM, MBA + Griffin iMic connected to DVI KVM
    - Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor connected to DVI KVM

Pro: Griffin iMic don't get switched around as much (still gets hot-plugged and unplugged when switch/docking against the MBA).

Con: Pricey. DVI KVM is expensive.

2. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I've been using an Aten KVM to share my 30" ACD between my MacPro and my Win gaming rig. A good KVM is probably the best solution but they are expensive. If you thought the prices on DVI KVM's were high take a look at what it costs to get a KVM that supports dual link DVI.

3. BiscottiGelato thread starter macrumors regular

Nobody else encountering this problem and have to get a setup sharing peripherals for a Macbook + a PC?