2 Questions About iPhone Network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ross.32, Feb 6, 2008.

1. ross.32 macrumors 6502

Is there any chance that someone could make an app with the SDK to use the iPhone to power the internet on a MacBook Pro? Or if Apple would not allow an app like that, are there any hacks that would do the same job?

The next question is about 3G and Edge. I know that you cannot use the internet and call people at the same time in Edge, and that you can with 3G, but can you still use both with a 3G chip when you are not in a 3G coverage area (such as in a rural area)?

2. myawn macrumors member

myawn

Ambitious little iPhone ya got there

OK, that's gonna drain the battery really fast.

;)

3. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, but I will have it plugged in. I do a lot of storm chasing and would like to use some of my radar programs on the road in my car. That is also why I was wondering about simultaneous calls/internet access in rural areas. No use buying a 3G cards and paying for weekly subscriptions if I can get the iPhone to do the same thing.

4. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Are you kidding me? My PowerBook powers the whole internet for 5 hours!

Seriously, though, I doubt AT&T would allow tethering without some sort of additional fee. Now, if the SDK would provide the hooks to do such a thing, I have no idea. It's possible, I guess.

5. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I know you can take the iPhone sim card and stick it in another ATT phone and use that as a tethering device, so I don't see why they would not allow Apple to do the same thing.

Then again other ATT phones have AIM too.

6. silbeej macrumors 6502a

What do the other phones use for AIM, data or text messages? I hope it's data so when they make an iChat program for the iPhone, i will still have text messages.

7. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

my old ATT phone used both text and data ... it was quite a rip off

I'm pretty sure that if you're in a edge only market, then it will act like your phone does now with edge...

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    No, it reverts to regular EDGE characteristics.

10. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502