2 Questions about Places in Camera app.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrewr2123, Mar 24, 2011.

1. andrewr2123 macrumors member

Ok, so I think the "places" part of the camera app is really cool, but I have a few questions about it...

If you have your phone on airplane mode, will it still be able to show where the picture was taken?
    I thought the answer would be no, but I tried taking a picture on airplane mode, and it still showed where the picture was taken. The thing is, I took this picture in my house (where I've taken many pictures before), and thought that might have affected why it actually showed up.

And my second question is, if I were to take pictures from my current iPhone camera, then transfer to a new iPhone, would the new iPhone be able to tell where they were taken from?

Thanks! :apple:

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

No and yes. I just tried the Airplane mode and my pic don't show GPS data. Yes because I just got a refurb today and all of my pics still have the GPS data associated with them.

3. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The coordinates are stored on the photo's EXIF data - so if you post a picture online, ANYONE can see where it was taken if they wanted to know.

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

That's good to know.

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I agree, Airplane mode turns off the GPS, and the location metadata will transfer with the photos to another phone or to your computer.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That's why I keep mine turned off.:D