2 Questions: DMG Files and Strange Green Lights

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jcb08, Dec 15, 2008.

1. jcb08 macrumors newbie

I bought a Mac for the first time about 2 months ago. I've adapted very well to it, after being a Windows user all my life. I've just got two little questions.

First off:

I've got a MacBook, the aluminum one. Last night I bumped into, and saw a row of 8 lights on the left side, about an inch in from the front, light up. I then found a small button which causes them to light up. I've tried looking on the Mac Help site and some forums, but couldn't find a thing. Anyone know what these do?

Second thing:

I develop some small progrmas, and help distribute programs for other people. For my current project, I would like to create a .dmg file similar in style to the one Open Office Uses. With a background image.(As seen in Pic)
    I would also like to try and add a background image to a memory stick, so that when it's plugged in to a Mac, you have a background picture, with file relating to it in front.

Best Wishes -Jacob

Attached Files:

• oo.jpg
      oo.jpg
      File size:
      109.9 KB
      Views:
  2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Battery Level indicator

3. jcb08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh! Well, that's solves one question. I can't understand why I didn't think of that before. Thank you very much.

So any help with number 2?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Numbers 2 and 3 aren't so hard.

Making disk images is done in Disk Utility. If you have a folder containing the files you want a disk image made of, all you need to do is select File -> New Image -> From Folder... then navigate to the folder. Leave the type as Compressed unless you're sure you need something different. Click OK, and it'll create a disk image.

Before you do that, you'll need to set up the folder so it's exactly like how you want the disk image to look. This is configured in the folder's View Options - from here you can set a picture for the background, have the icons arranged in a specific way, etc.

To set a background for the 8GB flash drive, you'll need to do two things:
    First, copy the image to use as a background to a folder on the flash drive somewhere.
    Second, go to View Options for the flash drive, choose Picture for the background, and navigate to the file you just copied.

5. jcb08 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. jcb08 thread starter macrumors newbie

wrldwzrd, I tried the steps for the Flashdrive, but when I ejected and removed it, then re-insertted it. It was back to Default White.

Any Idea how I might fix this?

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What file system format does the flash drive have? Note that the technique I gave you has to be done on a per-folder basis, and only works on Mac OS X.

8. jcb08 thread starter macrumors newbie

MS-DOS FAT32.

Might I ask what I'm doing wrong?:confused:

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I just tried it with a FAT32 USB drive, and I'm experiencing the exact same issue. I suspect the Mac OS is to blame.