2 Questions: headset for macbook? recording streaming audio?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kristenanne77, Mar 29, 2010.

1. kristenanne77 macrumors regular

I just bought a logitech headset with the 1/4 inch for mic and phones.

A few of us were on a conrerence call in the same room. The speaker was turned on for some but some others just listened through their windows computers and headset.

When i turned on the mac, I I heard everything through the headset but when i tried to talk i got feedback to the 10th degree!!!

So i had to mute my input and talk on someone elses windows computer.

How embarrassing is that!
    Question 1
    Is there a headset i can buy (hopefully locally at a walmart or best buy etc) which will work with my computer?

Question 2
    Also, I can't seem to record "what you hear" streaming audio either - can't figure that out either. i can do it on a windows computer .. now i am twice as embarrassed!!)

superkristen

2. kristenanne77 thread starter macrumors regular

does anyone use a headset with their macbook?

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Hey superkristen -

You were using a headset in a room where there was a conference speaker, right? I'm thinking that the speaker noise was being picked up by your mic. It even picked up you talking into the mic and then coming through the speaker and then into your mic again (feedback).

Either go to a different room than the speaker or turn something down... the speaker or the mic pickup. You may have to try different combinations to get it right.

There are noise canceling headsets that may help.

Good luck and stay Super -GDF

4. kristenanne77 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I am sure that the speakers in the room were causing the problem.

But i would like to be able to use the headsets at another time and place for more privacy by using a headphone mic instead of the built in mike.

Not really having much luck here finding macbook users who use a headset and headset mike. Its appearing more and more like the macbook is incapable of this.

A possible solution would be to use a separate headset and a self powered mike (since it appears the macbook doesn't work with cheapo computer condenser mikes either ...which get powered from the computer).
    But having a headset that can power the mike do this would be great. But then I suppose there would be the problem of disconnecting te built in speaker.

superkristen

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Correct...never used one before but I've had a theory for a long time. If Apple sells a third party device, it's gotta work with Mac products. You may want to look into the ClearChat Pro USB Headset. You may even be able to find it cheaper than this. Sorry if it's out of control out of your budget but not only have I never used one, I've never shopped for them either. ;)