2 questions-MBP running hot & MS word templetes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr M5, May 15, 2011.

1. Mr M5 macrumors regular

So recently my MBP seems to be running very hot, where I can feel it on my legs or even on my palms while typing. What could cause this?

2nd- I was trying to print some Avery Divider labels and followed the directions on their site, I downloaded the DMG and installed the template meant for word for mac, but I can not figure out how to use it...Meaning I can't find the template. Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Your Mac is not overheating. Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). Your temps are likely well within the normal operating range, as searching the forum with Google will reveal:

Macbook Pro Heat Dissipation
    2010 Macbook Pro 17" i7 heat question
    Heat on my i7 Macbook Pro 15"
    Macbook overheating?
    My Macbook Pro reached 106 degrees !
    Macbook pro heat problem
    MacBook Pro Over Heat Issue
    Heat on my i7 Macbook Pro 15"
    Macbook pro Hot after 10.6.3. Update
    Macbook Pro too HOT!!!
    My Macbook Pro Runs Hot
    Macbook Pro gets really hot when running windows 7
    How hot should my macbook be getting?
    Macbook Boiling Hot!
    Hot 15" i5 MBP!
    MacBook Pro Overheating or That's What I Think It Is?
    Macbook pro temperature
    MacBook Pro heat causing pain in hands
    Alu Macbook vs. 13" Macbook pro: Heat & Battery Life
    Etc., etc., etc.
    Use Finder to search for the template.

3. Veriac macrumors member

My MBP 15" early "11 (i7 2.2) gets 90C when gaming is that to warm or normal? On how much celcius should I stop gaming? Don't want my MBP to shut off on itself :eek:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's normal when doing CPU/GPU-intensive activities, such as gaming. If it shuts itself off, you can just let it cool down and restart. It shuts down to prevent damage.

5. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I installed I stat pro and temps are around 40-50 degrees, but still feeling the heat. Maybe not over heating but sure feels hotter than normal over the past week or so.

I did use the finder to find it, but when you click on it nothing happens.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have to access it from Word. Use Word's Help feature to learn how to use templates.

7. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

As for the heat, you could reduce some of that placing your laptop on a flat service (i.e. a table or desk), therefore helping airflow. I am assuming you put it on your lap due to the comment about feeling heat on your legs. I don't suppose that's bad, but not necessarily ideal, in my opinion. Things like clothes, pillows, or bedsheets can mess with airflow a bit if that's the surface you choose to place it on. I'm not sure how considerable it is, however - it probably doesn't have a substantial impact, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

8. waynep macrumors 6502

My 2010 17 inch MBP was running pretty warm. Warmer than my wife's 13 inch. It also was not getting the battery life that I expected. I did an SMC reset and that seemed to fix it. I get a lot better battery life and it does not run near as hot. My theory is that it was stuck in high performance graphic mode, but that's just a theory. Might be worth trying.

9. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

I do know how to use them, but all that shows up is the standard installed ones.

10. dn00 macrumors newbie

It's not normal if your mbp shuts itself down due to high heat. This could mean you won't be able to do intensive work on that laptop without it shutting down.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I didn't say shutting down was normal. I said high temps are normal. No one in this thread is reporting that their Mac is shutting down due to high temps.

12. palpatine macrumors 68040

i assume you are naked while you are using the computer. otherwise, it's entirely likely that your clothing will be helping to prevent airflow and might even be blocking the rear vent. a clipboard or some other hard, flat object under your computer (a table) will probably result in immediate benefits.

if you think about it, you have some of the world's most advanced electronics, running some of the most cutting edge software, all wrapped in a case of metal whirring away on your lap. there's going to be some heat :)

13. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah not naked:cool:

Also not doing any gaming or anything intense, just simple mail, internet and typing.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

40-50C is normal idle temp, your temperatures aren't high at all.

15. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

right now i'm running around 28 and it feels like what I was and am used to.

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

You have a laptop running exceptionally cool, my friend. And I truly mean exceptionally.