2 Questions re: iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jersey10, Jul 6, 2008.

1. jersey10 macrumors regular

I am planning to get the iPhone 3G, but I have 2 questions:

(1) Will I be able to sync the iPhone to my Mac for all the iTunes stuff (music, podcasts, videos) while syncing it to my PC at work for my Microsoft calendar and contacts? (even though my firm is not supporting push email for Exchange at this time).

(2) I saw someone suggest that since my firm is not supporting Exchange push email, a solution would be to set my firm email to be automatically forwarded to my .mac email account. I know how to do this and it seems to work well, but is there a way to set my .mac email preferences so that when I respond from my iPhone it looks like it is coming from my firm email address rather than from my .mac email address? It doesn't seem to give me this option.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, .Mac doesn't exist anymore, so I wouldn't worry about that for a while.

3. SlapMonkey macrumors regular

Don't be ridiculous and confuse the OP here, .mac as of this writing DOES still exist and it will STILL exist but will be renamed (and reworked) as me.com, so what he is asking to do with .mac still applies for the most part when it changes over to me.com (meaning, yes, you can forward whatever email to .mac and receive it as you normally do even with the me.com change over on July 11th.) :rolleyes:

As for the OP's question regarding if you can send email and look like it's coming from your firm's address instead, I'm not sure about that but some are saying this may not be possible. We'll have to wait and see if me.com adds this feature or not, but the current .mac does not seem to be able to do this.

4. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Yes, when you set up your mail acount, you'll have to do it manually, so you may not get push email though...
    eg. You get email delivered from pop.me.com and then send mail using smtp.yourfirm.com, so it's sent using a different email than it recives in.

For this you would need to know the incoming settings for .Mac (.me) and the outgoing settings for your works mail

5. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I agree with post above, if you can't add to the discussion don't post.

To answer the OP- no one really knows yet how the new sync will work, we just know that it will be available on Friday.

I sync my current iPhone with my mac at home for music and video and sync my PC at work for contacts and calendar items but not mail. As long as you have iTunes on both and you have them set up the same it works. No one knows yet how this over the air sync will work.

6. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I dont think you can sync to both a PC and MAC. Just my opinion.