Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HazzFq

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Hi

1. Im having thoughts about which screen to buy, i have searched a fare amount but everywhere seems to have people who are bias towards matte and have only tried glossy and don't own one. so i would like to hear from people who have both maybe.

2.Im going to buy mine soon is now a good time?

thanks

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
1. Glossy sucks, you can see a bunch of reflections in the screen and it over-saturates the colors.

2. Fine time to buy, MBPs are just in the middle of their cycle and won't be updated for at least 3 more months (probably 4-5 months).

HazzFq

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
ok thank you. I have some pictures i found of glosssy and it did seem to reflect a hell of a lot! but seemed to look better...

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I have a glossy screen MBP and have never had any problems with it and I really like the picture quality.

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
go to an apple store if possible and look at a matte and glossy screen for yourself in person... its a pretty big decision since you'll be dealing with it every day for a while

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I have never been in a situation where I couldn't tilt the screen ever so slightly to get a light reflection off my screen. there is only a small angle where a light will actually reflect. if you like to use your computer outside, it probably wouldn't be so great. i am using my glossy outside right nw and i can see my fingers typing on the keyboard in the screen. but it doesn't bother me at all. i kind of like seeing the reflections. also, i can tell if someone is spying on me from behind. :)

I went for glossy because it the colors look better (not accurate but i don't care), and i think reflections kind of look cool (as long as they are reflections of trees and clouds, etc. as long as the brightness is up it's great looking. (i'm completely serious, it doesn't distract me at all). the only annoying thing is if there is a lamp right behind you and it is making a bright light spot on your screen. then just tilt the screen back about 2cm and you are fine.

don't look at pictures from the internet since they are all pictures from an angle which will make a reflection on almost any surface. look at a matte lcd from an extreme angle and it looks like a mirror!

Skyburning

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
I have a Macbook(glossy) and the glare hasn't bothered me at all since I got it. I've had it since the beginning of August. I think there are some people who overexaggerate the "awful glare." But then again, I don't do any graphic extensive work on my machine, however it does go with me everywhere and the only problem I've had was sitting directing infront of large sunlit window.

HazzFq

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
I'd wait for Leopard which comes out at the end of the month. Free OS upgrade!!

Well surely it doesn't matter if its a free upgrade because i could get tiger then just upgrade it when i have it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.