2 questions where to buy and what to do

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Richdj, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Richdj macrumors member

Right guys the time has come, been waiting weeks since my Vaio was stolen in a burglary in Jan, wnated to change to mac but waited and waited for the new MBP, finally there here, but now im a bit stuck on where to buy from.
    Im buying it mainly to edit video for my job, so contacted a nearby video soloution centre who are also mac repair shop.
    They have offered my £50 off the MBP and FCP2 for £699.99, however they are unable to give me a shiopping date as they dont yet have stock.
    However i may be looking to purchase a HD video camera from them in the future and will get great after sales advice and cosultation they tell me. Not to mention the fact there a repair centre if i have probs. However Basically i work for a company in the UK and if i go to an apple store i can get 8% off.
    which is a good discount on a MBP of £1600 pounds!
    The apple store tell me they have stock now!!
    So heres my dilemma, do i got for the higher discount from the mac store and get the MBP tomorrow, or buy from the solution expert/repair centre, get less discount and have to wait maybe up to another week for my MBP, but get the better advice/consultation after and also maybe another discount down the line if and wheni purchase a camera......

any thoughts appreciated, im sure Macs after care is good too, but just not sure which is best.
    anyone got any experience?!

My second question is probably a popular one and there is prob already a thread on it.. but this will be my first mac, is there anything i should do when i get it before i use it and when i first use it to help look after it, ie does the battery need fully charging before i turn it on, what should i load onto it utility wise to look after it etc etc.
    I undestand that setting up a user account away from the admin account is a good idea so know about that but any other tips appreciated.

Cheers fellas!!!!!!!!

2. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

3. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

I would buy from the apple store, since I've always have and never had a problem with them.

Some people like to reinstall OS X to remove the unneeded languages and drivers (Including me) before setting up a new mac. Although it isn't necessary.
    Battery usually comes charged but calibrating it is recommended

4. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

cheers ryox, was beginning to think no one was out there, i am swayed towards mac store, im sure thed help me after if i needed it, plus id have it in my hands tomorrow, can get the same software deal buying online so the other place arent getting any points there....

will i have a copy of osx to reinstall ? or do you buy that seperatly ?

5. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

sorry thats prob a daft question, bear with me im a newbie lol

6. Ronix macrumors member

Rich,

There is a OS X install disc in the box for the specific machine that you are purchasing. It will allow you to reinstall but only on that type of machine. For example an iMac comes with an iMac only disc.

7. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

8. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

yup. and its easy.
    1. Press the power button
    2. Put the disc into the drive immediately
    3. Hold down C on the keyboard

it takes about 25mins to reinstall the OS

9. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

thatll be my first job when i get it home, im so desperate to get it lol, as you can hear i think the mac store option is winning so far!

10. McGiord, Feb 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord