2 Questions.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JohnnyAce1971, Jun 6, 2012.

1. JohnnyAce1971 macrumors newbie

Hello! I have a couple of questions for anyone who might know:
    Q 1: In my travels, I ran into a Dual DVI Video card. It says its a Wildcat VP880 Pro. Looks like a nice card. Dont know what it was used in prior. Will it work in my G5 Tower? If not, can it be flashed? I see info for flashing NVidea and ATI cards, but none other.
    Q 2:I have a PowerBook G4 Dual Layer running a 1.67ghz. prossor and 1g. (2x512mb) of RAM. Its the one that uses ddr2 RAM. I want to bump it up to 2g. (2x1g) RAM, but heard some models had a motherboard issue where it wouldnt recognize RAM. If this is so, how do I know if I have one? Its doing well now, just needs a little more get up and go. I dont want to screw up a good machine. Also, Both machines in question are running Leopard in case you need that info. Thanks for your time!

2. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

That Wildcat VP880 Pro will not work in a Mac under any circumstances unfortunately. Only ATI and nVidia cards will work with a Mac.

I'm not sure of any specific tests that would relate to your specific machine. You might as well go ahead and order the RAM and test it out. If it doesn't work out, you can always return it. No need to worry about screwing up your machine.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

It's not so much that it doesn't recognize the ram, but that the later PowerBook G4 models were prone to having one of the slots fail entirely. Sounds to me like you're in good shape though.

4. JohnnyAce1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers. I appreciate it. So if both RAM slots on the PowerBook are reading the 512mb RAM thats in there now, they should read 1gig? Thanks for setting me at ease as I dont want to screw up machine, just want it to run at its best!:):apple: