2 questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XUXA, Jun 1, 2008.

1. XUXA macrumors newbie

I have 2 questions. I have a Mac Book Pro 15" 2gb 120 Hard Drive.

1. When I close my laptop and it goes to sleep, sometimes it won't turn the screen back on, I can hear sounds, the internet connects and goes on iChat but my screen is black and I must shutdown it down and turn it back on. How can I fix this?

2. I am missing around 20gb on my hard drive, when I got my MBP it came with Tiger installed and then I just installed Leopard. Did it just install over it? If so how do I fix that?

Thanks!

2. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

1. I don't have a Macbook, but try going to system preferences>energy saver.

2. 20GB not being there is fine. It's not 120GB because the HDD is actually formatted to be less on all hard drives. Secondly, the applications included take up a lot of space(iLife, iChat, iTunes, Quicktime, etc.).

3. BobZune macrumors 6502a

The 20GB sounds like you did an Archive and Install and the Previous System is still on the drive. If everything is working well, you can delete the entire directory called Previous System (old Tiger systems files).

4. XUXA thread starter macrumors newbie

where is that Previous System folder located?

5. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

If there is one, it would be in the top window of your hard drive. Basically, if you open Macintosh HD (or whatever you named it on your computer) it will be in that window.

6. XUXA thread starter macrumors newbie

7. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Then there is no previous system on your hard drive. As mentioned before, with the OS, all of the iLife apps installed and taking virtual memory into account, 20 GB sounds reasonable.

8. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Keep in mind that 120gb is the "selling" size of the drive, the actual drive size is smaller. This is because, as far as I know (someone please correct me if I have this wrong), the hard drive is marketed based on a decimal concept of GB (1gb=1,000,000,000 bytes or 10^9 bytes), while OSX reads drives in the binary concept of GB (1,073,741,824 bytes, equal to 1024^3, or 2^30 bytes). So it's the same size, it's just calculated differently by the OS (as far as I know, most OSes do this, including Windows).

Also formatting does remove some of the capacity as well, but not much. Either way, 20gb of a 120gb drive is more than this discrepancy would allow for.