Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
howdy

1.is there a simple free tethering solution, using mywi at the moment but the trial expries in 8 days, if there is no easy choice then i will pay $10 but wat to see if there is anything better.

2. long shot, but with my iphone ive always always wanted to be able to control it using my computer, mostly just text using full keyboard really.I used to be able to do it on WM, is there anything for this to help me?

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
i dont know any way you can type from your computer, but there is a hack that allows u to use a bluetooth keyboard. if you just want to display the phone on the computer, then you can download screensplitr on the iphone, and demogod on the mac/pc. you need bonjour for that, which comes with safari if you have it. or, if your looking to control the iphone from the computer, then i suggest getting veency from cydia, and getting chicken of the vnc, for mac, or tightvnc for pc. i have seen people type with their computer keyboards over a vnc connection, but i currently dont know how.

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
New York
pdanet is a great for tethering. i used it to tether my iPhone 2G to my mac, and it works great with the desktop client.

there's also VNC, which is free in the appstore. I don't know if it's there anymore, or if it's the same, but it works perfectly, you just have to enable a couple of things.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
for #2 there are apps in the app store that will allow you to do this.

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
for #2 there are apps in the app store that will allow you to do this.

to control my iphone with my computer?

im aware of vnc apps that control my computer with my phone. but not visa versa, its not possible with the app store.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
i use a cracked version of mywi. :eek:
not telling you how though.

Thank you for the help! :rolleyes:

OP:
You can use PDAnet after it expires as long as you're just using HTTP. I thought that installing MyWi enabled native USB tethering too? Does that still work?

As for texting from your computer, I think there's a dedicated app for that on Cydia or something but you can also use Veency to remotely control your iPhone.

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
If you're looking to text from your computer to your iphone, check out Lazy Text on the app store. I used a promo code from MR for it and I still use it a lot :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.