Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pyrrhic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
When I'm in an app and I hit the home button to take me out of it, does it continue to run or does the app actually close?

That leads to my 2nd question, if the app is still running, does it continue pulling data over EDGE/3G or does that stop when I go back to the home screen?

Thanks in advance :)

Kyeris

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Somewhere in Texas
All 3rd party apps close when you close out of them (somewhat). Apple dosen't allow 3rd party apps to run in the background.

Apple apps on the other hand can run in the background, but the only one that would really use data is the mail app if you have push/fetch/manual fetch on.

Uh Clem

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
Third party apps from the App Store always close when you hit the home button. Apple apps, however, can run in the background.

As far as I know, the Apple apps won't send/receive data in the background if you turn off push and set fetch to "manually".

nephrom

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2008
In order to have full control...is there an application showing the usage over Edge/UMTS and WLAN (the Usage under Setting/General only shows 2G3G traffic)?
Anyone knows a nice application?

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Just some additional info: The reason 3rd party apps aren't allowed to run in the background (Like official apple apps or WM) is that this completely outrules most possibilities for viruses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.