2 Quick Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AirborneAngel, Jan 13, 2008.

1. AirborneAngel macrumors 6502

Hey I have 2 questions:

First, what is the easiest way for me to share a folder over the internet between XP and Leopard? It would help if you could post up some instructions or maybe a link.

Second, what is the best (free) program for me to control my MacBook (Leopard) from my Windows Desktop (XP)?

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Over a LAN or from an entirely different location?

You can setup an FTP server for file sharing and use VNC to dial in to your MacBook.

You will have to assign your computers static IPs and use DMZ or port forwarding on your router/s so they are available through the net.

There is a lot more detail that you'll need to setup something like this, but I need more information about what exactly you want to do. Is the MacBook always in one place and the PC another? Are both computers always on?

3. AirborneAngel thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, they're right next to one another, but the MacBook is on wireless, and the PC is the computer hosting the wireless.

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Well then it should be much simpler.

Just turn on Widows file sharing in System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing (if your own Leopard) or tick the checkbox (Tiger). If you want to share from your PC to your Mac just right click on any folder in Windows and navigate to the sharing tab. Tick the sharing box and it your Mac should see it almost instantly.

Turn on Screen Sharing in the same section of System Prefrences and download a VNC client like TightVNC on your PC. There are also ways to control your PC from your Mac.

5. Tankgunk macrumors regular

Tankgunk

Hmm...

Problems like these are really hard to solve when we can't figure out what your basic network configuration is.

You can ignore the rest of this post if Fleetwood Mac gave you enough information, but you'll have to give us more information if you want more specific help.

If you could tell us if your computers have static IP addresses it would be a good start. We would also like to know if you want to access files on your PC over the internet (eg. using your MacBook at work to get a document on your PC at home), or just over the local network. It would also be nice if you could tell us if the first three parts of the IP addresses are the same on both the computers (eg. 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101), which might tell us all we need to know about your network.

If you don't know how to check these things or what I'm asking, let us know and we can help with that.

6. AirborneAngel thread starter macrumors 6502

The IP addresses are exactly the same, the computers are sitting next to one another, and are on the same wireless router (laptop is on the wireless, PC is on the landline). What I want to be able to do is close the lid to my Laptop, and be able to use my PC screen to control both the Laptop and XP.

7. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

There isn't a way to operate your MacBook while the lid is closed unless you plug in an external monitor / keyobard / mouse directly. Its a limitation of all Apple notebooks, which can only operate in lid-closed mode under those conditions. Controlling your MacBook through your PC would not be a great experience anyway, since VNC is often choppy and provides less than stunning quality.

8. AirborneAngel thread starter macrumors 6502

In that case, what kind of Adapters/Cables would I need to connect my Black MacBook to a display?

9. Tankgunk macrumors regular

Tankgunk

You're first problem is going to be that you won't be able to use the laptop in lid closed mode without an external display connected. Which probably means you're better off turning/rolling your chair to switch between XP and Leopard. However, I'll still give you instructions for controlling your MacBook from XP.

1. Go to the sharing preference pane on your MacBook and check the box next to Screen Sharing. Then click on "Computer Settings..." to the right, and check the box next to "VNC viewers may control screen with password:" and enter a password.
    2. Next, go to TightVNC's website and download the file in the windows section that has "Viewer executable, does not require installation" next to it. It is a standalone application in a zip file and doesn't need to be installed.
    3. Open TightVNC, enter your MacBook's IP address, and click connect. You will be prompted for your password.
    4. Control your MacBook!

I'd help you more with sharing files between OS X and Leopard, but I don't remember exactly how to get XP to share. All you really need to do is turn on file sharing on your PC, then connect in OS X (Go -> Connect to Server, or Command-K) using smb://*IP OF PC*. Connect and guest and you should be able to mount the shared documents folder on the PC. However, this is NOT very secure if you are not behind a router.

10. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Depends on the display. Is it VGA or DVI?

Depending on which, you'll need a mini-DVI to DVI or VGA. They cost around $20 - 30.

11. Tankgunk macrumors regular

Tankgunk

You should only need a computer monitor with a VGA input and the MiniDVI to VGA adapter that might have come with your computer OR a computer monitor with a DVI input and a MiniDVI to DVI adapter. However, I'm wondering why you don't just use the built in display of the MacBook with the lid open? Are you just wanting that bad to use VNC with the lid closed, going for more screen real estate, or just "saving" your built in screen?

EDIT: It would seem that I've been beat to the answer... and upon checking it seems your MacBook did not come with a MiniDVI to VGA adapter.

12. AirborneAngel thread starter macrumors 6502

My PC has a nice display, and I want to make the most of it. And it doesn't hurt to take a load off of the built in display :p

Alright, I got it to work, but is there any way to make it quicker? Everything is really slow...I'm guessing the answer is no.