2 refreshes this year?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tflournoy95, Feb 18, 2011.

1. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

is it likely that there will be a mbp refresh after this upcoming refresh near the end of this year or early into next year?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's certainly possible, given that the average time between updates is around 7 months.

3. tflournoy95 thread starter macrumors 6502

cool im hopefully gonna be getting one for christmas and it would make my year if i got one when it was like a brand new refresh

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Usually, apple holds an event for any products that have significant updates.

For example

In late 2008, they held MBP and MB event and introduced unibody MBP.
    In late 2009, they did not hold event, but iMac received pretty significant update with 16:9 display ratio, 27 inch display and Quad core CPU

In late 2010, MBA received brand new design and went completely flash storage. MBA became one of the fastest machine for boot up, launching apps and other simple tasks compare to any other machines.

Since apple is not having any press event, this update will not be redesign. Yes, it will be hardware update like sandy bridge processor and etc.

I am waiting for MBP to have SSD as standard and I don't think it will happen with this update. Maybe it will or maybe it won't.

I just cannot watch 11.6 MBA beats 17 MBP with boot up time. I just can't.

I am waiting for MBP to go quad core and flash storage. Most likely won't happen until end of this year or 2012.

However, apple always release something end of year in Mac line. I am hoping that they will update MBP with brand new design from current one. This current design is almost 3 years old.

5. tflournoy95 thread starter macrumors 6502

mba may boot faster but it still has no power compared to 17 inch. boot time really doesnt matter that much.

when i get a mac it will be at least 1 terabyte hdd, and 8 gigabytes ram, and max cpu and graphics that i can get in the 15 inch. im hoping by the time i get it huge hard drives and 8 gigs of ram will be standard, but i have already told my parents to prepare to buy this 2000 dollar computer and then spend like 300 to upgrade it.

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

That's your opinion. Any average user would look at MBA and MBP would just look at both of devices and think why MBA start everything off faster in booting up and launching apps compare to MBP 15 and 17 inch. MBP costs way more than MBA.

You may say boot time really doesn't matter that much for me, but don't try to generalize it for others. What you need and what I need is very different things. I do not certainly want my 1700-1800 dollars 15 inch core i7 MBP to boot up slower than 1000 dollars 11 inch core 2 DUO MBA.

7. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I actually think there will be an event. Rumors are floating around that Apple is preparing for a "major product launch." If the 24th launch date confirmed by MacRumors is correct, Apple has plenty of time to send out invites if the event isn't until the end of the week.

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Since we are both speculating, I am going to say no for event.

Apple will hold press event yes, but not for MBP this time. They will hold an press event for iPad 2 and iOS 5.0.

Look at the history. Apple always help press event or some sort for notebook/iMacs on October/November.

October 2008, they did MBP
    November 2009, they did iMac ( no event, but they did release a video and etc)
    October 2010, they did MBA.

It's time for MBP again.

I expect iMac update at WWDC 2011 along with iPhone 5. Apple will most likely going to have to redesign the current unibody design and I am waiting for that.

I want

Quad core MBP
    Flash as standard and completely flash for storage. No more HDD
    And take out optical drive and give us super drive. If not, I can always buy one. It's only like 60 dollars.

9. mdgm macrumors 6502a

A February (very early in the year) update does leave open the possibility of a late 2011 update. If there is a late 2011 update it could just be a spec bump and/or a redesign.

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Not even a second page in and we are discussing MBA vs MBP....damn that was quick.

11. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm also hoping for a QC MBP, and the SSD implementation is basically a given (although to what degree is another question).

What do you mean take out optical drive and give us super drive? Superdrive is Apple's name for the optical drive. If you mean Blu-ray though, that won't happen. Personally, I'm just hoping they get rid of the ODD for either a better cooling system (allow the 45 W QC processors) or use it for an HDD bay that would presumably be used alongside the blade SSDs.

12. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Perhaps he means give the MBA superdrive (that's a USB external one)?

13. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

If it's simply a spec bump this time around then yes I believe there will be a complete redesign that is event worthy either late 2011 or the first half of 2012.

If they don't do a redesign this time around, I ain't buying :(

Eff that ish

14. saucy1360 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm hoping the big update is going to be next week, not later in the year. I'll be needing one for school in the fall so I'll be getting this upcoming version.

15. Cr0nus macrumors member

Cr0nus

I think apple is changing its refresh cycle for macbook pros to reflect that of the iOS devices. One new model every year. This can be seen through the past two refreshes with both having longer than expected release dates(greater than average 7 months).

16. mark28 macrumors 68000

Only 1 refresh will happen.

Apple will wait for Ivy Bridge next year.

17. axu539 macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I think people read way too much into the Mac refresh cycles. While iDevice refreshes are predictable (most of the technology is dependent on purely Apple's decisions) at once a year, computer updates are dependent on the components inside. Apple updates the MacBook Pros when there's either a design change, or a better component that they can put inside the computer. Otherwise, there's obviously no reason to update. Thus, the 8 month or 10 month or whatever average refresh rate for the MBPs is really not a good predictor of future updates.

Apple will likely not update a second time this year (except for maybe a clock speed bump, or maybe small battery improvement). The next update to expect is Ivy Bridge which should be available to Apple roughly this time next year.

18. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You are giving apple a lot of credit...

SSD is not given. 512GB SSD still costs a lot of money. Apple is very unlikely going to be able to go flash for storage.

Apple always charge more money for small things like Ram upgrade, higher resolution and etc.

Super drive is external drive that apple sells for MBA.

Uhhh and no. Apple has been updating MBP twice in the past. They cannot just update MBP once a year. They have done in early spring and late fall many times.

Apple will update MBP once again later this year. They don't have to put new processor every time. They will just update graphic card or offer slightly faster CPU and get away with it.

19. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

unlikely? this will never happen until prices for ssds drop 50%...atm a 512GB SSD is is 1,000$

20. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I still think SSD will be a given. The capacity might be lower (probably on par with MBA sizes, or a little higher), and the cost of the MBPs might be a little higher than now, but Apple can't have their Pro computers booting and starting programs slower than their ultraportables which are SUPPOSED to be slower.

I'll correct myself regarding the updates. Apple won't do two SIGNIFICANT updates in a year. Apple wouldn't want to update in, say, November, and immediately have outdated machines when IB comes out. Since Intel's speeding up its update cycles, Apple can more easily synchronize its computers with Intel's cycle.

21. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I don't even know if the blade SSDs can be made with a 512 GB capacity for even $1000. I don't find it likely that Apple would go and create a proprietary type of drive and only use it on one line of computers, which suggests that Apple might want to use those in the next MBPs. Hence, prices and capacities should be pretty similar to what we see for the MBAs now. a 64 GB to 128 GB update on the Airs costs $200. A 128 GB to 256 GB update costs $300.

Let's also not forget that MacBook Airs with disk hard drives were $2000 a couple years ago. Now the ultimate with a 256 GB SSD is cheaper than that.

If Apple puts the base MBP with a 128 GB blade SSD, it could be quite affordable, but slightly more expensive than the current base MBPs. If Apple really wants to push the tech, they can even shrink their margins by just a little bit to make that 128 GB SSD standard while keeping the same price points. Hell, for all we know, these SSDs could be cheaper at those capacities for Apple anyway, since the form factor is basically Apple's.

22. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Oh plz...

Apple doesn't give a crap about having the latest technology. Tell that to current 13 MBP with old Core 2 Duo Processor.

IVY processor ain't due until early next year. Apple has done many updates in a year in the past.

SSD will be given? Hmmm... maybe. We will see if they will include it as standard. I seriously doubt that. This company can be so cheap like making MBA with 2GB ram only and charge 100 dollars for 4GB.

You are so optimistic... aren't you? That's good. But, I have been using apple products for years and I don't count on apple being generous enough to offer 512GB SSD as standard in this update.

23. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Honestly I don't see how it is so far-fetched. Apple doesn't necessarily care about having the latest tech, that's true. But, Apple cares about its appearance. By putting at least low-capacity SSDs standard in the MBPs, Apple would gain the reputation boost by being the first company to really standardize SSDs. The average Joe would just notice that Apple computers ALL boot and launch programs faster than other computers. Suddenly, the idea that Windows PCs are faster (as thrown around by some) is very handily debunked. The SSDs would be a PR dream for Apple, effectively making them more money than it would cost them to implement.

Of course, I'm just speculating, but I feel that this is one aspect of tech that Apple will try to push.

24. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Yes, MBA is the future of Macbooks. SSD is a big part of that like Steve said.
    I would buy MBP on day one as long as apple put 512GB SSD on 15 inch or 17 inch MBP with current prices. F... I will be so happy. That is like my day one purchase.

I hate apple for charging 50 dollars on matte display.
    I hate apple for charging extra 100 dollars for higher resolution on 15 inch MBP
    I hate apple for charging extra 100 dollars on MBA that is already pretty overpriced.

I am very pessimistic about 256GB SSD or 512 SSD on MBP as standard. We shall see. I would love to wrong. Steve is not at apple right now, so I hope those apple executives become very generous and throw in those SSD as standard.

25. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I agree with everything you said.

Also to the ones that believe that ssd's are too expensive for apple to implement as standard, remember that apple has the lowest cost of goods sold and the highest profit margins compared to the other manufacturers. They could easily afford it.

Now the question is, will they?
    Of course apple is still just another a huge multi billion dollar corporation and they didn't get that way being generous so we can only hope.