2 Reviews in 1: Techshell Case and Moshi Pad 56K Beware

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crash-n-Burn, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Crash-n-Burn macrumors regular

Sorry for any spelling errors in advance.
    Also for the crappy 4mp Nikon.

Techshell Case:

Ordering:
    I ordered my Techsell case for my MBP and received it in three business days. Shipping and confirmation were done incredibly quickly. The product was shipped in a cardboard box via UPS. To my location in IL shipping ended up being $10. The total price was about $70.

Product:
    The smokey techshell came covered in a plastic sheet in order to protect its surface. It was quite annoying taking these sheets of plastic. Installation was a snap, literally. It could not have been easier. I cleaned the outside of my MBP with a damp lint-free cloth in order to prevent scratching and followed the video available online at http://www.techshell.biz/qa.html. It took my at most 10 seconds to have everyone on and fitted perfectly. I have not noticed any less opening in the screen as some people have complained. The screen does become heavier and when you close it past half-way it will close on its own, which to me is not a big deal. The ports are all easily available, but I can see a large PCI-Express card having some trouble fitting in. The case also does add to the weight, but I did not find it very noticeable. Some people were also worried about the case overheating so I ran the diag cd that came with my laptop. I ran 3 extended tests which took about 4-5 hours with no problems.

There was a chip in the back of my case and this is when I contacted their customer support.

Service:
    The chip, or as I found out a bubble is a normal occurance. It was never a big deal for me I just wanted to make sure that everything was ok. I called the number and left a message as they did not pick up. I received a phone call from Mark the very next day. Mark was extremely kind and helpful, he told me to send pictures and he will take a look at the situation. I took pictures (included below) and he was very quick to respond. He told me I would be able to return the case, but this happens when the molding is separated. I had nothing to worry about and I chose to keep the case. Mark was very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. If I get any other mac laptop I will defiantly get a techshell for it.

Pros:
    Protection
    Ease of Installation
    Customer Support

Cons:
    Weight
    PCI-Express Slot might be too small
    Smudges easily
    Price

Recommended

Moshi Pad

Ordering:
    I ordered the Moshi pad and the estimated ship time via DHL was 2-3 weeks. I received the pad in 4 or 5 days. Easy.

Product:
    The pad was nothing like what I had imagined. It is much thicker then I imaged which was a very pleasantly surprised. It felt like putting down a piece of plastic over the hand rest. Installation was a breeze since you can’t get any bubbles. The surface makes it more difficult to slip when typing which is very helpful to me since I get very sweaty hands. I also put the cover over the click button. Most if not all people will not even notice that the pad is on since it blends in so nicely. I have not put on the track pad cover as of yet, but I will probably do so in the future. The pad is sticky, I misaligned a piece of it, but I was easily able to fix it with a little force pulling. I put on the touchpad cover this evening and it was horrible. You lose almost all of the sensitivity of the touchpad, I quickly and easily took it off and it now resides in my trash can.

Service:
    I have not dealt with Moshi’s service department as I have not had any problems with them.

Pros:
    Protection
    Feel
    Installation

Cons:
    Trackpad Cover

Recommended

Feel free to ask any question or request any pics. I will not have time to check this post today but will be home from school tomorrow after 5pm Central time to answer any questions.

Thanks,
    Jason

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Thanks for the review. My wife wants a pink one for her MB for Christmas and I was literally just thinking of looking that up when you're post popped up on Forum Spy. Great timing!

[Edit]Thanks to your review I just ordered a pink one for her.

[​IMG]

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Google scratches techshell, it marked my MBP up and then cracked never again.....

4. just02 macrumors member

I'm glad to hear you like the moshi palmrest and trackpad/button cover. Any tips, tricks, or additional thoughts on the product? :)

I just ordered mine on the 4th and was thinking about sending them an email asking why it hadn't shipped. Well, I got home today (the 7th) and I had an email from then... sweet! It shipped and it's out for delivery today. Impressive.

5. Crash-n-Burn thread starter macrumors regular

First of all this is not a common problem. If you clean your MBP before putting the case on and clean it every once and a while you are fine. I have taken the techshell on and off multiple times without any problems. I have read more positive reviews then negative reviews. Just like with the MBP in general some come with defects and people go onto the interweb to complain.

As far the moshi pad, no real tricks. It's much easier then you think. It really is like a giant sticker. When you get it you will know what I mean.

6. marks47 macrumors newbie

crash-n-burn, just02:
    Thanks for the kind words. I was going to say, the checks are in the mail, but hmm... I guess the more modern version of that joke would be, "Check your paypal accounts." :)

7. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

I have to also say, Moshi products seem to be on par with Apple. I also have the Moshi "palmguard and love it, however I believe it's wasted now since I'm going to have this laptop replaced. I really want to step up my Slip case with their Codex 15" case, it looks rather nice.

oh, and don't worry.... the bottom 3rd of the hand rest won't yellow on you =p