Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burntwaffle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Ok. I'm greedy when it comes to internet. Especially when it comes to downloading 24/7..

So what I want to happen is:

By an ethernet splitter.

(Me) Buy an airport Express (WPA Protected)

Use 25 Foot Ethernet Cable From Ethernet Splitter Into Airport Express (Then into my room)

Have my brother use existing belkin54g router. (or if he wants to upgrade, idk)

Resons Why I'm doing this..

- When The both of us use the same wifi. It REALLY slows down the internet

- We both use Xtorrent which takes up alot of internet

- We both surf the web

- We both use xbox live

Is this pointless? or i should i get my own router

Thanks

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Your slowest connection is from your modem to your ISP, doesn't matter how many routers you have if you are both using up the bandwidth.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
This is pointless. Each of you connecting to a different wireless networks might help prevent one system from starving the other, but if you really want more speed, invest in a second connection. You can then either each have your own internet connection, or you can use a multiple source router to combine the two connections into a single network.

TEG

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Since you're running an ethernet line to your bedroom, why not just attach one end of that cord into one of the belkin's LAN ports, and at the other end, attach a switch which you can use in your bedroom, avoiding wireless altogether?

Your router already contains a built-in switch (correct?) so there's no point in buying an ethernet splitter.

Your current slowdown, if anything, would be due to the wireless connection. Your current router is more than powerful enough to share your internet connection; adding a second router won't help you, but making parts of your network topology wired might.

However, more likely than not you'll see no speed increase, as your internet connection is the same.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
riiiight

You do know that your router (LAN) transfer speed is much, MUCH faster than your internet (WAN) transfer speed, right? Nothing will make your internet connection faster than buying a separate line, one for each brother.

But seriously...why? Are you running a business? Is downloading torrents that big of a deal?

burntwaffle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
wow that was fast guys thanks.. come to think of it.. i'm just going to get the airport extreme since it serves up to 50 ppl and is a modem..

Thanks!

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
yeah....

wow that was fast guys thanks.. come to think of it.. i'm just going to get the airport extreme since it serves up to 50 ppl and is a modem..

Thanks!

Like the other guy said, not a modem, only a router.

Dude, you're internet isn't going to get any faster.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA

Thanks!
Why? It's a fine router, but there's little it can do that your belkin cannot. The only chance you have in increasing your speed is switching from a wireless to a wired connection, but even that may have no effect.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Why? It's a fine router, but there's little it can do that your belkin cannot. The only chance you have in increasing your speed is switching from a wireless to a wired connection, but even that may have no effect.

Please don't give him any false hope that his download speed will increase. We all agree that from what he described, the bottleneck is the broadband connection. :)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Oh my Lord...

1) WTF is an "Ethernet splitter?" I have never heard of such a device. I pray that you mean a hub or switch.

2) To reiterate what everybody else said, you're gonna spend a lot of money on zero results. The connection coming into your home is probably 1.5Mbps to 6Mbps. Any 802.11g router connects all the computers in your home at 54Mbps. In other words, the speed coming in is your problem. To use a bad metaphor, UPS running more trucks daily doesn't get your package to you any faster if the plane shipping your item from LA to New York is stuck on a runway.

Upgrade the Internet connection. That's the only way you'll speed things up (without turning something off).

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
1) WTF is an "Ethernet splitter?" I have never heard of such a device. I pray that you mean a hub or switch.

There are Ethernet splitters in existence that simply split the signal of an Ethernet cable. Actually doing what a hub really does, but without the power requirement. They actually work quite well, but since they are not a switch, there are not of much use if both connections are going to be used simultaneously as there will be a lot of data collisions.

TEG

burntwaffle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
wow...

well wtf can i do to increase my internet speed???

so it's pointless getting an airport extreme now?

i could SWEAR it was a modem/ router

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
wow...
so it's pointless getting an airport extreme now?
i could SWEAR it was a modem/ router
Well you could always contact your ISP to get a faster plan. There are different plans for DSL and Cable, although they are more expensive. Also with Cable you are sharing with the local area as cable isn't a direct line so in the end you are sharing the speed with everyone else in your neighborhood.

As for the Extreme being a modem, I don't believe that has ever been the case.

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK

Schedule xTorrent traffic for the time when you're not using the internet access for anything else.

on both computers use the HOSTS file at MVPS.org to filter out all traffic to and from adservers. It won't make a huge difference in traffic but makes your web browsing experience feel faster.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
id just get anotther modem from ur isp so then ur brother will have one and u will have one and a router if u want, and in that case therer woont be any slowing down of doownloads and probably speed up id think

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Think of it this way. Your computers are like faucets. The more faucets you have on, the less water pressure you have. Installing more routers, which are the pipes in a way, won't help since its just sharing the same water.

What you need is another independent internet connection, like a seperate water main, running to your house to get more speed. Each of you can then fork over $50/mnth for your own internet.

The AirPort Extreme will be nice if you do lots of music sharing from one room to the other, or lots of gaming BETWEEN EACH OTHER at home. It won't do anything for you connecting to the outside world, however.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Well, only reason to install airport Express in your room would be

- Improved Signal in your room (If your current wifi signal is low strength or subject to interference, then this might give you a better wifi experience)

- Improved security for your wireless signals; you should use WPA2 (many people have wifi on WEP which can be hacked easily).

It's the torrents that slow down your internet.

ansalmo

macrumors regular
May 23, 2005
If your main aim is to make general surfing more responsive, then consider acquiring a modem/router that allows you to configure quality of service (QoS). You can then prioritise standard HTTP access over P2P so that your Xtorrent traffic doesn't completely saturate your bandwidth.

Other than that, what everyone else said.

mwchris

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
Kentucky
I think the best thing you could do that would also be the cheapest is what one previous poster mentioned:

Plug an eithernet cord directly into your current router and run it in to your location. Then plug said cord into a switch, and then run all your Internet appliances off of the switch. You will get much faster transfer speeds from a wired connection than a wireless connection.

Other than hardwiring your connections, the only other way to really boost your speeds is to either 1. up your isp plan, or 2. get another separate dedicated connection. Both of which are going to cost more money.

Oh, on other suggestion if you are stuck on having a wireless connection is to make sure you are using a wireless router that uses the fastest speeds possible, which I think would be a version N or G, of course the wireless card in your computer would have to match to achieve the highest speeds, and of course the limiting factor would still be the internet connection itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.