2 routers 1 Lan

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andy.barron, Sep 20, 2007.

1. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Hi all.

Does anybody know how to access macs serving from one router (2 macs, 2 ip's) from one plugged direct into the modem/router (different router address) that the 2nd router is getting its outside access from?

Basically, line into modem/router goes upstairs to a dsl router that gives ip's to 2x macs. I have now plugged a mac directly into the first router (downstairs) & want to see upstairs.

Modem router (downstairs) 192.168.0.1 & DSL router (upstairs) 192.168.2.1.

Can this be done?

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Essentially you want to set up your second router as a hub or Access Point. To do this, essentially all you need to do is tell the router to not distribute IP addresses (DHCP off). Then plug the cable from router one into one of the LAN ports of router two. That should do it. If you have trouble I suggest contacting the manufacturer of the router and asking them to help you set it up as a hub (access point if it is wireless).

3. andy.barron thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your reply yippy, but I have tried this to no avail. The macs upstairs see the routers address upstairs & turning DHCP off on this router didn't change its ip address.:confused:

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Two things.

1) Make sure the cable from router 1 to router 2 is plugged into a LAN port on router 2, not the WAN port

2) Once you disable DHCP on router 2, you should release/renew the IP addresses of all the machines connected to router 2. They should then pick up an IP address assigned to them by router 1.

5. andy.barron thread starter macrumors 6502

yippy & swiftaw - you are gods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lan not wan, how bloody stoopid am I?!?!?!

Thanks guys, between you sorted a prob in 1 min that I have been smashing to pieces for days.

Thanks again, really mean that. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D