2 Screens / 2 Laptops - How best to setup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PS65, Aug 11, 2013.

1. PS65 macrumors 6502

Guys,

I have a personal rMBP and a work Lenovo T431. I just purchased two LG Cinema displays.

The idea is that I can dock my T431 and connect it to the two screens. At the same time, I want to be able to use my rMBP on these screens when I am not using the T431.

Whats the best way to do the following:

1. The rMBP will use HDMI. How do I connect two screen to the rMBP; and
    2. Have the ability to connect the T431 by DVI to the screens; and
    3. Allow automatic switching (or some sort of each auto switch) between the two machines without having to touch wires?

I am aware of the method to attach a single machine, but not sure on the best setup for two machines using different interfaces.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Monitor is: LG 23EA63V-P

2. kant macrumors 6502

Since you're connecting to different inputs the monitor should have a button to switch between sources.

3. lianlua macrumors 6502

There is only one HDMI output, so if you need the MBP to connect to two monitors, you'll need to use a DisplayPort/DVI/VGA/other adapter. That means you can't have both computers physically connected to both monitors at the same time without a switch, unless you stack adapters: DP->DVI->HDMI or DP->HDMI.

You can also just buy a KVM or video input switch and use that. Make sure the one you buy supports dual monitor passthrough.