2 separate sites on one domain server via iWeb

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by rawdawg, Jan 25, 2010.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I have two domain names and one domain server with 1&1.com. Originally I was hosting only my website, but now I am building a website for my coming wedding. I am using iWeb to do this.

After publishing a test with my wedding site I realize it changes the index file at the root directory in my hosting ftp. This of course makes my original website no longer work since it can't point to the correct folders.

Is there a way to have two separate index files in a root in order to preserve to separate websites with one ftp?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Generally for multiple domain names, there separate domain folders to place files in.
    Code:
    home/
      username/
        domain1.com/
          index.html
        domain2.com/
          index.html

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I'm with angelwatt on this.
    Two domains with different content need to be pointed to separate directories.

Try pointing your new site to a subdirectory of your old site.

4. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies.

This makes sense... But can someone explain how to do this using iWeb? It doesn't seem to let me create a new root for a domain like that!!??

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The separate domain folder exists on the web host, not within iWeb. You just choose where to publish to from iWeb.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

so the hosting company is going to have to set up the additional domain folder for the OP?

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If the domain names are both through the same web host for the same account, then yes, the host will create the domain folder and would likely do that automatically (some web hosts may operate differently).

8. MickSue macrumors newbie

Were you able to get your 2 sites to work? I'm having the same problem, but have 3 sites. My hosting company thinks I'm an idiot. I'm beginning to think they're right.

If you got it to work would you please let me know what you did to make it happen?

9. brisbaneguy29 macrumors 6502

brisbaneguy29

These are called addon domains, and depending on your web host, they may or may not support it. And if they do support it, there may also be restrictions on the number of addon domains available to you, depending on your hosting plan / account.

IF your host is running cPanel / WHM you will be quickly be able to see if it is supported or not. Log into your cPanel usually by going to http://www.yourdomain.com/cpanel. Log in with the FTP user name and password, and have a look on the cPanel page for something called Addon Domains. Not Sub Domains, these are different.