2 serial numbers, 1 macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by logicstudiouser, Jan 31, 2017.

1. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

Ok, so I have been using a 2011 MacBook Pro for almost 5 years now and only noticed now that the serial number on the bottom case doesn't match the one displayed in 'About this Mac'.

I purchased this computer lightly used from a seller with a good track record, 99.7% feedback rating on eBay.

I have never had issues with this computer, any time I have gone into the genius bar, I have always used the serial number that appears from the about this mac section.
    I checked both serial numbers on Apple's website, both have the verified purchase date check mark and are the same model.

The reason I bring this up is cause I was planning to sell this, but not sure if I should try to reach out to the original seller I got this from first for more information or is it no big deal?

Also, is there a way to clear personal information from a mac serial number if I sell it?
    Usually when I bring in my mac, they can load all my details + appointment history simply with the serial number. Can that be removed?

2. Eduardboon macrumors regular

Maybe it got a repair, a new logic board and they forgot to transfer the serial number? Apple would know what's up probably.