2-sided DVD into one computer file?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by shmerls, Jun 24, 2012.

1. shmerls macrumors member

shmerls

I have an older DVD, that I bought new and own, and want to turn it into a single file so I can watch on my various iDevices. I checked the filenames and they are identical on side 1 and 2. I'm kinda new to ripping, but was thinking maybe it would be possible to simply combine all files from both sides in to one folder and then use a program to boil them down to just one file. Probably not possible though. Right?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Are you sure it's not one of those discs that puts a widescreen (16:9) version of the content on one side and a full screen (4:3) version on the other? Many older discs distributed by MGM did that. I would look to see if there's "Side A/Side B" labeling on the disc hub that would indicate that.

3. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    OP, if you are asking if you can just move side "Bs" files into the same-named folder on side "A", no, that won't work. There are tools to do what you want to do. My favorite is DVD2One: http://www.dvd2one.com/ which does that very well.

4. shmerls thread starter macrumors member

shmerls

It's Goodfellas and it's literally side 1 and side 2 for the balance of the movie. Like flipping a vinyl records in the very olden days :D

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Rip the main movie as a pair of .VOBs and combine them.