2 Sound cards in OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by VPrime, Jun 27, 2010.

1. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Hey, I picked up a USB sound card which seems to be working fine under OSX.
    I am wondernig if it is possible to use both internal and this usb sound card at the same time?
    I want to direct certain programs to play out of the USB card and every thing else through the internal.
    Specifically VLC, Quicktime, and sometimes the web browser.

Basically I am looking for something like the windows vista/7 audio mixer, but not only control programs, but be able to send audio to a specific output.

Any thing exist?

Thanks.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

A simple Goole Search would have brought up AirFoil. This might help your situation.

3. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

I ha done lots of google searches. That dissent help.
    I need to be able to use 2sound cards so I can route audio for a specific program to that Card only.

I don't want to stream music or sound to other devices.

Thanks though.
    Any one else?

4. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

No its not possible. Even if it were, the two devices would conflict with each other.

5. belvdr macrumors 603

Wrong. I'm not sure why you'd even say that.

This can be done only if your app can specify what sound card to use.

6. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

The software has to support it. OSX only has controls to use one sound card at a time (you CAN use the INPUTs on one for microphone, etc. and the outputs of the other one for sound, though). I don't see many programs supporting individual output for sound, but there are SOME. Notably, Logic 9.1 can specify a specific output card (e.g. I can use my MBP's internal sound for all other programs including microphones, etc., but my PreSonus for Logic 9.1 sound output and input. I think Garage Band can do that as well, but I don't use it so I'm not sure).

Basically, this wouldn't be a bad option in programs like VLC, though. Given most Macs don't even have internal expansion options (and most external stuff is used for sound reproduction, etc. like with Logic Studio or Final Cut Pro), there's probably very little perceived need for anything beyond just selecting an alternate card for everything.

7. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

It certainly doesnt work in windows, and i have yet to even hear of an app that can use a specific sound card over one or the other.. Plus OSX can only use one soundcard for output. And for above ^^ It does not work in garageband. i tried it.

8. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

Thanks for the replies.
    The apps I want to use are VLC and quick time... I know they don't have this option, so was hoping there was a 3rd party app to be able to do this.

What I am trying to accomplish is watching a video on a second display (TV with its own speakers) and then be doing something completely different on the main display (with its own set of speakers)

I am surprised that something like this doesn't exist... Especially with the fact that mac pros are often used in audio production.

Is there an app to mute certain applications audio, like the windows Audio mixer? I guess that should be good enough at least.. If it is possible (and preferably free)

9. belvdr macrumors 603

Yes it does work in Windows and OS X. I had an extra sound card that was used for my ham radio and one for music. I had a Java app (both Windows and OS X) that would allow you to select the sound card as well. OS X, the operating system, can only select one output sound device, but some apps can override that setting.

I'm sure many of the Apple branded apps only use the OS X default sound card.

10. MacTech68, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Same discussion going on over here

Wonder if there is really any solution to this.

If anybody could do it as a third party app, the folks at RogueAmoeba might have a chance but I'm sure they don't offer this ability (yet).

11. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Huh, well i guess it only works for a couple of apps than

12. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

Well, it most certainly DOES work for Logic 9.1 (I have OSX selected to use the MBP's internal soundcard in preferences and yet Logic is set to output to the PreSonus) so now you have heard of one.