2-Stupid Noob Questions re. Itunes and Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by summitRun, Sep 13, 2011.

1. summitRun macrumors regular

Sorry for the naivety but I was wondering...

1) Is Itunes actually installed if I don't accept the user agreement? I'm not sure if I want to use Itunes yet and if not accepting the UA keeps it uninstalled, that would be good to know.

2) I would like to see how the interface of the mail program operates without entering my email address/password. Is it possible to get past that screen to open the program and have a look at it.

I have a new 11'' MBA 11/4/148. Thanks...:eek:

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

You are asked to install iTunes when it's on your disk. If you don't accept the UA, it's fine -- you can accept it whenever you want. Before that you won't be able to use it, obviously.

As for Mail, I don't think you can. You could perhaps create a Yahoo or Gmail email to test it out.

3. BurningJah macrumors regular

Q1: No it is installed! but if you don't want to use it. that is up to you! I like it and I'm using it since the beginning! I quiet like it.

Q2: that I don't no! I guess not

4. summitRun thread starter macrumors regular

I'm probably not understanding...the computer was shipped with 10.7 and iTunes was already on the dock. There was no *ask* to install iTunes, which is what I am trying to figure out. Maybe the *ask* comes after the UA?

"Show Package Contents" tells me that iTunes is a 136.7 MB program. I simply want to know if all of the files and folders that make up those MB's are actually residing/taking space on the SSD...regardless of whether or not I have agreed to the UA...or does approving the UA actually start the installation of iTunes. Hope that makes sense...

5. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

iTunes is installed natively on the machine. And no you cannot open up the mail app without an account being setup.

6. summitRun thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. Does iTunes provide some critical function to the OS? It would be nice if they loaded it as a .dmg and gave you the choice to install it or not. I guess it can always be deleted. It seems odd to me that I cant view a simple mail program without setting up an account :(

7. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Why go into the mail app without a mail account set up??? :confused: