Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So I'm just configing my mac pro and was wondering should i go for the two superdrive option ?

But then it occured to me. How does it know which drive to eject when you press the eject key ? :confused:

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I cant confirm but i think it is sometihng like shift eject to eject the bottom and just eject to open the top.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
bartelby said:
I guess you'd have to select the drive on the desktop.

But if neither drive has media in it, how can you select which drive to open ?

xUKHCx said:
I cant confirm but i think it is sometihng like shift eject to eject the bottom and just eject to open the top.

Oh that would make sense I guess.

Any one with 2 superdrived to confirm ?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
option-eject

Or, double-click on System:Library:CoreServices:Menu Extras:Eject.menu and you won't have to remember.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thanks everyone.

I knew there had to be some simple answer, but wasnt sure what. Now i know. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
RTFM:

Mac Pro manual page 17 said:
Optical drive
Your Mac Pro has a DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW SuperDrive, which can read CD-ROM, photo CD, audio, and DVD discs. It can write music, documents, and other files to CD-R, CD-RW, DVD±R, DVD±RW, and DVD+R Double Layer (DL) discs. To open the drive, press the Media Eject key on your Apple Keyboard. If your Mac Pro has a second optical drive, press the Option and Media Eject keys to open it.

If that's too hard, just enable the eject menulet... ;)

/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Eject.menu

Edit: Just like iMeowbot said... :D I gotta stop opening multiple tabs... :eek: ;)

pbelmore

macrumors member
May 3, 2006
Seattle, WA
Let's say you open that file, but then want to get rid of the menu (if you're a bonehead like me and wanted to see it even though I won't have a second SuperDrive for a few weeks for my MDD). How do you go about doing that? I tried right-clicking on the menu but that doesn't do anything.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
pbelmore said:
Let's say you open that file, but then want to get rid of the menu (if you're a bonehead like me and wanted to see it even though I won't have a second SuperDrive for a few weeks for my MDD). How do you go about doing that? I tried right-clicking on the menu but that doesn't do anything.
Apple-click on it and drag it out of the menu bar. You can also rearrange the others by sliding them around that way.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Edit: Just like iMeowbot said... :D I gotta stop opening multiple tabs... :eek: ;)

For what it's worth, I said it first and iMeowbot is trying to look superior by editing it in afterwards :p :eek:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Nermal said:
For what it's worth, I said it first and iMeowbot is trying to look superior by editing it in afterwards :p :eek:
You see... those are the subtle nuances I miss when I don't refresh every thread all the time... :eek:

And that 5 minute free edit window may clearly be used for good or evil... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.