2 TB display queries

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nedlah, Nov 7, 2011.

1. nedlah macrumors member

Two queries I hope someone can help me with.

1. So with TB display I should be able to connect external FW drive, usb printer,(all independently powered) external superdrive, and even usb mouse and keyboard?(either and or, if I’ve miscounted the number of usb ports)

2. I’ve never been a sleep the computer and/or monitor kind of guy - I always turned mine on and off as needed sometimes several times a day . Dont wish to buy into the argument about which is best practice. I've only ever owned a single computer-monitor unit so it's not obvious to me at first - which order should I turn on and off TB display with a mini - I imagine I should power up the monitor first and power it down last - especially if it has mouse and keyboard attached through the tb display since it wont boot unless it detects these at the time.Am I right?

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

As long as there is enough ports, you can connect any device to them, powered or unpowered.

You can't "turn the display off". The display will go to sleep when the mini is powered down, same as if the mini just went to sleep. The display automatically turns on when it receives a signal from the computer again.

3. nedlah thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that. I did pick up somewhere after posting that the display doesn't have a power button - in which case I wonder if this would have any ramifications for someone like me - as mentioned I always like to turn my setup off and disconnect the power lead - same with my internet line. I always do this out of habit now - against the remote chance of a power surge - possibly overkill but something I am most comfortable with.

I can only imagine it wont be any different with TB display -just reconnect mini or whatever and monitor will fire up.