Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkredhot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2013
Hey everyone, Ill admit it from the start, I am a novice, so forgive me... but I need help, got a macbook pro, iMac, 2 ipads 2 iPhones, 2 PC's, and a partridge in a pear..... you get it...

I have 3 kids and TON of videos,and i want to download all of them to my TC and stream to my Sharp 60" wifi (love this TV BTW) I want to create a file on my TC that has just movies and use it as a network...

i saw that it CAN be accessed from internet.. great.. but inside the TC can structured files be made OR is there an outside program that structures the movies in the TC..

I want to watch movies whenever I have a network connection, to much to ask?? Do I need apple TV and is this what it does? sooooo grateful for anyones time Thank You

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
Blainville, Province of Quebec
Hi, are your videos drm free? I mean did you buy them on iTunes? If you bought them on itunes you'll need an Apple tv and a computer running iTunes

----------

The Apple TV does exactly that by the way but not from a network drive

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
as long as the TV supports DLNA, you can use plex.
you will have to have a computer on and running the plex server, but it can access the media on your time capsule.

bkredhot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2013
I checked out plex and some good reviews and some very recent of how complicated it can be.. AND having my imac on all the time is a bit concerning when I already have my TC and IP running... if I can hit my IP from anywhere then why my iMac?.... I was using A WD live server and it was an Excellent concept up to the point I found out it was not backing up ANY of my video, BUT the server concept was amazing.... Thank you for all your help but this is starting to sound like the technology of plex is geared to ipad and phone but not so much for macbook hmmmm any other suggestions..

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
I checked out plex and some good reviews and some very recent of how complicated it can be.. AND having my imac on all the time is a bit concerning when I already have my TC and IP running... if I can hit my IP from anywhere then why my iMac?.... I was using A WD live server and it was an Excellent concept up to the point I found out it was not backing up ANY of my video, BUT the server concept was amazing.... Thank you for all your help but this is starting to sound like the technology of plex is geared to ipad and phone but not so much for macbook hmmmm any other suggestions..

Just try to create a folder in the TC, put a video in it then try to find the folder from your tv. I don't think it will work tho, the tc is not a nas. The tv should be able to find the videos in your mac tho, as long as they aren't DRM.

For the DLNA to work, you need a device with an application to communicate with the tv, the TC doesn't have that.

bkredhot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2013
ton of blue ray for kids and regular DVD.... I like the idea of createing a file on the TC but you are so correct its not a server..... all that memory sitting in my basement and no structure to make it useful... TC is way behind the times on this idea.. but I get it.. why make it easy for me to save and watch my dvd's i already purchased when you can buy it a second time on vudu... have you seen the program fire core? is this a good program..
the TC is just a HD, i find it hard to believe that noone has made a sharing program across platforms that easily allows you to partition your TC in usuable formats... maybe thats what plex does? the plex website is a little vague..

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
ton of blue ray for kids and regular DVD.... I like the idea of createing a file on the TC but you are so correct its not a server..... all that memory sitting in my basement and no structure to make it useful... TC is way behind the times on this idea.. but I get it.. why make it easy for me to save and watch my dvd's i already purchased when you can buy it a second time on vudu... have you seen the program fire core? is this a good program..
the TC is just a HD, i find it hard to believe that noone has made a sharing program across platforms that easily allows you to partition your TC in usuable formats... maybe thats what plex does? the plex website is a little vague..

if you buy an Apple Tv (1 or 2 not 3), you could install fire core then access the files from your TC as you wish. But would it bother you to go through iTunes? Because that's my settings and it works quite well. All my videos (personal or bought on iTunes or ripped), picture and music, all of it is accessible from the Apple TV. Even as limited as it is, the Apple TV 3 is still useful.

If you want to buy an Apple TV 1 or 2, they are a lot more expensive since they can be jailbroken.

By the way, if you have that much movies, especially bur-rays, 2TB will be full pretty soon.

Plex has a server program and a client program, you need to run the server app from your computer so it is basically the same as iTunes but it has other functions as well. Tho, if you buy buy videos on iTunes it won't either with plex, I know you don't have any but still keep that in mind. The TC is basically an external HDD plugged into a wireless router, to be seen from a DNLA it has to have a software for this and without some form of processing, you can't run a software. Plex is good but not for your needs

Last edited:

bkredhot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2013
thanks for all the info... i soo wish i had your skill.. I have no idea how to put all my videos on iTunes?? more research i guess.. and you are right I downloaded plex and it looks flimsy... u know you said something funny.. i was told that 2TB is about 600 reg dvd's and 200 blueray's , you may be right.. soo back to the drawing board... so btw i tried to download all my videos to vudu BUT if it does not have a copyright agreement with the company ( disney for ex.) then it wont allow you to use there system... another dead end..

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
Thanks for the compliment

thanks for all the info... i soo wish i had your skill.. I have no idea how to put all my videos on iTunes?? more research i guess.. and you are right I downloaded plex and it looks flimsy... u know you said something funny.. i was told that 2TB is about 600 reg dvd's and 200 blueray's , you may be right.. soo back to the drawing board... so btw i tried to download all my videos to vudu BUT if it does not have a copyright agreement with the company ( disney for ex.) then it wont allow you to use there system... another dead end..

Thanks for the compliment but it is a lot less complicated than it might look like. First, you could download Handbrake:

http://handbrake.fr

It will handle most of your converting and dvd ripping needs, it is really easy to use and it is free:eek:. That's what I use and I really like it. It has some presets, one of which is Apple TV 3, so you just select your video file, choose the output ( Apple TV 3) and voilà it goes into iTunes. Don't worry about your original video file, it will copy it into a buffer than convert the copy. the original will still be there.

the Apple Tv is even simpler: 2 cables to plug, in the settings you set your wifi info if it is not hard wired, then you log into your iTunes account from the Apple TV. In your computer, in iTunes you need to share your library (in the settings there will be a share tab). Name your library then your Apple TV will be able to see it along with every videos, musics and pictures. When you use the Apple TV, your computer must be running iTunes.

As for vudu, I know the name but here in Canada it doesn't work without using a VPN but then you need a US billing address but I disgress, sorry can't help you with that but I'm sure other on this forum will know more then I on the subject

Best of luck:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.