2 things I can' t get rid off (3gs)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sanjanov, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Sanjanov macrumors newbie

Hello iPhone users!

I've been struggling with 2 things that I don't even remember switching on, but for some reason they cannot be switched off anymore. Things I' m talking about are:
    1) Settings- General- Network- Internet Tethering (the on-off wheel is spinning all the time)
    2) "Could not activate cellular data network"- have no idea what that is, but this small window pops up on every application (messages, photos, safari, mail etc.) I assume this might be affected by the first thing. If you wonder wether I have any GPRS/EDGE/3G subscription, then the answer is No, I'm using only wifi to access the internet.

Hoping for some tips if you know any way out of these 2 most annoying things I've ever experienced on my phone.
    Thanks

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Go to Settings, General, Network, if "Cellular Data' is on, and you don't have Edge, or 3g (Cellular Data), then turn it off.

3. Sanjanov thread starter macrumors newbie

That' s not the case. Everything in the network section is off (Enable 3G, Cellular Data, Cellular data network (no info there) VPN, Wi-Fi) and Internet tethering wheel keeps spinning.
    Any other suggestions?

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If that setting is off, then one or more of your apps is trying to access the internet, and that message pops up to let you know that it is unable to use the cellular data network.

5. Sanjanov thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried disabling every internet requiring application, but that damn wheel doesn't stop spinning. Hope this screenshot helps.

[​IMG] http://img200.imageshack.us/f/img1368.png/
    Thats how the situation looks right now and there is nothing I can do about it to disable that tethering. Searched for it on various topics around the web and still nothing.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You have an extra tab, that I don't have. What do you have when you tap that "cellular data network" tab?
    I only get the tethering wheel when I have cellular data on.

7. Sanjanov thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 2 sections:
    1) Cellular data with APN, Usarname and Pasword
    2) MMS- a bunch of other data to type in.

The thing is that if i screw all the data in this tab, tethering switches off, but then I can't use GPRS (now that I think about it, I'm not really interested in using it anyway)

The second main problem still is that "Could not activate cellular data network" window that pops up in the middle of my screen. :/

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You said that you didn't have cellular data, GPRS IS cellular data.

9. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That wouldn't pop up if something (an app) wasn't trying to access the Cellular Data network.

10. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Just looking at the pic that you sent, you have wifi turned off, cellular data off, so anything that is trying to access the internet is gonna cause that pop up. Do you have a mail account set up in your phone? If you do chances are very good that it is set to fetch mail automatically, and it has to access the internet to do that.

11. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Another thing to look at, is your Multitasking bar...Any apps open there?

12. Sanjanov thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't say I don't have it, I said that it's off, but what I meant by this:
    "I have 2 sections:
    1) Cellular data with APN, Usarname and Pasword
    2) MMS- a bunch of other data to type in."
    is that I have these 2 sections in the tab named Cellular Data network. Here is how it looks like: http://img411.imageshack.us/f/img1369.png/ (I've deleted everything but the last two lines to switch the tethering off)

As to mail fetching- it has always been off. About multitasking, all the apps are always running in the background, is there any way to turn them off at all? :D Anyway, this case is by far the most illogical thing I've seen on a phone. I mean, why would it even try to connect to any kind of a cellular network if all the data is erased and the fields are empty as you can see on the screenshot?! Ridiculous if not so say more..

13. JamesMB, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

This is a quote from your first post. As you can see, you can plainly see, you state that you do not have a subscription to GPRS/EDGE/3G.

There is nothing illogical, about it, there is an app running that is trying to access the internet and it is informing you that it can't because it doesn't have access. Deleting all the cellular access data is certainly not going to stop your phone from trying to access the internet, when you ask it to, ie open an app that needs the internet, and in fact, just made matters considerably worse. If you want to clear the multitask bar, press your home button twice to open multitasking, tap one of the apps until they start to jiggle, press the X to clear the app from the multitask bar. Rinse and repeat..:D
    May I suggest a review of the iPhone user guide.. You can get to it very easily by opening Safari and clicking on the bookmark tab at the bottom and the click on "iPhone User Guide"., but of course when you do this, you are going to get the popup that says that you can't access the internet, since you just deleted all the information under cellular data access.

14. Sanjanov thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this tip, though I deleted every app running in the background, the window still pops up. >.<

I'm sorry, I not getting your point here. What your talking about is this: http://img51.imageshack.us/f/img1370.png/
    While I'm getting this: http://img251.imageshack.us/f/img1371.png/

15. theLimit, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

And you will keep getting that until you get a data plan, or turn on airplane mode.

EDIT: There are also fake apn settings files around, I used to use one to disable all cellular data.

Also, have you tried turning it off and on again? That may set the tethering back to off, since it's searching for a data connection if the spinning icon is there.

16. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That last picture is your messaging app. Thats right, you cant send a text Message unless you have CELLULAR DATA ACCESS. As soon as you open messaging, you are gonna get that popup, because you HAVE TO HAVE CELLULAR DATA ACCESS FOR IT TO WORK,

17. Sanjanov thread starter macrumors newbie

What' s your point here? I can send messages by simply pressing ok on that window.. Also that window pops up when I switch mail, calendar or other default apps on.

@theLimit Yes I have tried to switch it off, nothing happened.

18. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

The point is that we have told you what the problem is, you just don't seem to want to listen.:rolleyes:

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Try this maybe:
    Re-insert SIM card & reset network settings:
    settings>general>reset>network settings

20. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

He has Cellular Data turned off in settings, and has deleted all of his apn settings, sooo, he is gonna continue to get that popup.

21. Sanjanov thread starter macrumors newbie

This window has been popping up for a month now while I bought the phone 7 month ago. Yes, everything from the first start-up of the phone was off and that message never appeared. I'm sorry for being confused of what your saying, but damn, wether I delete it or reset the settings to have all those configurations back again doesn't solve the problem. So yeah, it didn't pop when I had Cellular data turned off and now it does even though I haven't changed a thing.

@Carlanga Thank you for your tip, I've tried that and even swaped a new SIM card, but still nothing works. I assume I'll just have to reset everything and reupload all my apps from itunes again.

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I see, then yeah TS every time you open some app that needs internet access you will get that pop up unless you buy a data plan of some sort. If you are not using it as a phone then just turn airplane mode on.

23. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

He has a data plan, he just turned it off and then deleted all the apn settings.:confused: