2 Thunderbolt displays + 2 Cinema Displays + 27" Imac Displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by w3pt, Sep 23, 2011.

1. w3pt macrumors newbie

I've been wanting to add an extra two displays to my setup and I was under the impression thunderbolt would allow me to do so. I was thinking I would be able to run the thunderbolt displays to my imac and then from the thunderbolt displays I would attach the older cinema displays...

I'm starting to think this is not possible and I'm wondering if I can even run 4 Thunderbolt displays?

Also, apple has a typo:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4744
    "thunderbold"

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure the Thunderbolt chip in the 2011 iMac can only support 2 displays. period.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Two external displays maximum on the 2011 iMac, regardless of which TB ports they're connected to.

The reasons for this limitation are (1) the graphics chip in the 2011 iMac will only support 3 displays and (2) the bandwidth of a single Thunderbolt controller can only support two displays. And even though the 2011 iMac has two Thunderbolt ports, they're still both coming off one controller.

4. axu539 macrumors 6502a

5. w3pt thread starter macrumors newbie

I find that incredibly hard to believe for multiple reasons. The graphics chipset can support up to 5 displays with eyefinity on other architectures. From what I've heard from various people is that the following configurations have worked:

1. 1 thunderbolt port connected to two 2 Thunderbolt displays daisy chained + 1 LED Cinema display on the other port\channel on the imac. Works.
    2. 1 thunderbolt port connected to one Thunderbolt display, Pegasus R6 connected to back of Thunderbolt display, and then a LED Cinema display connected to the 2nd port on the Pegasus.

This leads me to believe it's possible to run 4 displays...It's just a matter of how...

6. axu539 macrumors 6502a

It's not the graphics chipset that is the limitation. It's the thunderbolt chip itself. Sure, if you have multiple thunderbolt controllers in the machine, but the current Macs don't. I'm not sure what you've heard, but I'm pretty sure they're not accurate (I may be wrong, in which case that'd be pretty awesome).