2 Time Capsules for backup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pagemakers, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Currently I have a Time Capsule and a connected USB drive (to the Time Capsule) to backup all of the macs in my house.

Problem is the USB connected drive is sooooo slow so I was thinking of changing it for another Time Capsule.

Can I add a 2nd Time Capsule to the ethernet port of the first and then chose which one to back up to just like I can with the setup I have now?

Connection to the Time Capsule is currently by ethernet so the wifi part is of no interest to me.

My other option is to simple replace the single 1TB Time Capsule with a 2TB.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

This is the approach I took, replacing the original 500GB drive with a 2 TB "green" drive. It was really easy to do. I followed the instructions and pictures here: http://www.applefritter.com/node/23907 (they do a better job describing how to get the rubber pad off the bottom, and all the instructions and photos are on one page). It's been working perfectly.

As for your original question, it seems to me that you could connect another Time Capsule to your network and have it work, but I'm no network expert and haven't heard of anyone doing that.

Regards,
    Brian33