2 Time Machines possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miata, Jan 26, 2011.

1. miata macrumors 6502

I would like to have a backup copy at work and at home. Is there a way to run two independent Time Machine backup routines?

If not what is the best way to have two copies?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Lbatson21 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can change the drive you want to back up to manually. In time machine preferencesunder options when you get to work just select that drive and then vice versa when you get home

4. miata thread starter macrumors 6502

Does this mean that Time Machine can keep independent changed file lists -- or will a full backup be required every time you swap backup targets?

5. miata thread starter macrumors 6502

Today I use CCC to a FW800 drive at home in addition to Time Machine to a AirPort Extreme. I like having the bootable image at home in case I am doing much maintenance. I just received a new MBP with a 500 GB drive that I will replace with a 120 GB SSD. I was thinking that I could use that drive at work with CCC, but then I would be wasting most of the disk space. I was thinking that Time Machine would be a good use for the extra space.

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

it actually doesn't keep anything on disk, it keeps the logs in the backup. so if you have two backups it will simply check to see what files the backup already has and proceed from there.

7. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

Because I was needing to backup a lot of data... I use TM for the normal stuff but use Backup (part of MobileMe) to handle a large iTunes Library once a week to a separate drive and to also backup little stuff... documents and such to the "cloud"... works great.

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

that app is actually fantastic, totally forgot about it.

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

You can run two time machines on both two external hard drives or one partitioned hard drive. Technically, you could run a lot more, but as others said, vary it up. I keep a partitioned external drive with a Time Machine partition, a Carbon Clone Copy partition, and a partition for my generated files only in my fireproof/waterproof/humidity regulated gun safe as well as a 32GB flash drive that simply has the documents I use only...32GB holds all of my generated 'data' so it works nicely. Then I also have an external HDD that lives on my desk and I use it for Time Machine and direct data backup only. It's good to have a few different backup systems on a few different drives, in different places, because:
    -Two drives have around will halve the chance of complete loss (depending on the config), and the probability of two drives PLUS you computer all breaking at the same time is, well, damned near impossible.
    -Data corruption can occur on a single drive
    -You can do a few different RAID configs
    -More space with 2 hard drives for more full backups of various dates
    -Keeping two HDDs with backups together in a vulnerable place, which is most of the world, means you aren't getting your full money's worth. Store one in areas easy to get to, and another that has some resistance to fire, water, humidity, and shock. You can get thick Nomex soft cases (which provides some level of fire/heat protection), but the issue their is internal temperature due to smaller space and less fireproof material. My gun safe is rated to a ridiculously high temp for over 2 hours at about twice the temp of an average house fire, and it still keeps internals cool enough to avoid damage. I keep a lot of things in it though, including many sentimental items as it is nice knowing that they will never be stolen, lost, damaged or destroyed.

10. miata thread starter macrumors 6502

Great info here. I think I will keep one drive at the office and another at home. I'll have two partitions on each -- one for a CCC mirror and another for time machine.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

You can't go wrong with that. Data redundancy = prevention of data loss :D

12. DustyLBottoms macrumors regular

No.

Well, Doc Brown said if they ever meet it'll disrupt the space-time continuum.

So, I think not.