2 times failed during performing a clean install.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by keviny, Oct 23, 2013.

1. keviny macrumors newbie

First of all, I've installed Mavericks GM on Mid-2013 MBA and keep it up-to-date.

Since Apple announced that Mavericks is free today. I decided to perform a clean install base on Mavericks GM.

I tried this:
    1. Reboot MBA then press cmd+R to get into recovery mode.
    2. Choose Re-install OS.
    3. Input my Apple ID and Password. It told me that "This Apple ID have not purchased OS X Mavericks", so I purchased Mavericks on another Mac and that worked.
    4. "Downloading additional components..." for a while.
    5. Automatically Reboot then "a folder icon with a question mark on it" keeps flashing. After some research it turns out that this might caused by "some problems during installation" or "hardware problem". So I chose to perform a Internet Recovery.
    6. Shutdown and Power on then press option. Internet Recovery and Reboot.
    7. Choose Re-install OS X "Mountain Lion".
    8. Upgrade to Mavericks from Mountain Lion. At this point I thought there won't be any problem this time if I try to perform a clean install again.
    9. Reboot MBA then press cmd+R to get into recovery mode.
    10. Choose Re-install OS.
    11. Input my Apple ID and Password.
    12. Downloading additional components... for a while.
    13. Automatically Reboot then "a folder icon with a question mark on it" keeps flashing, AGAIN!!!

Is there any solution to figure this out?
    Thanks.

2. macneubie macrumors regular

The way I look at it, Apple does not want owners to do a clean install of Mavericks?

3. keviny thread starter macrumors newbie

can't believe this. if so, that will mean upgraded Recovery Mode doesn't really work.

4. Alveezy macrumors regular

i find that really weird. there's a lot of threads with successful clean installs from today via the mac app store and by creating a usb installer with it too.