Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thopunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
I just moved into a new apartment and it has a bunch of 2 prong outlets. is it okay to use a 2 to 3 prong adapter with the imac? my macbookpro adapter has a 2 prong out (as well as the 3 prong on the extension)... it thought it would be okay for the imac. i have it hooked into a surge protector then into the wall (it is the only thing plugged in to the 6 outlet surge though). let me know. thanks!

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
My apartment also has nothing but 2-prong outlets. I bought adaptors that convert from 2->3, and you simply screw in the faceplate through a grounding tab on the adaptor. This should be fine for your application. My electronics have been fine running on this. Just make sure that you are well grounded.

BikeSDP

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2006
Longmont, CO
I'm not an electrician. First check to see if the outlet has a metal box and it's grounded. If so, you should be able to get an adapter that can tie into the ground circuit. I think something like this should do it using the same screw that holds the wall plate:

Attachments

• 55_2.jpg
    55_2.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 2,574

thopunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
thats what i have. i need to see if there is a metal box around the actual outlet... what if there isnt?

CashGap

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Music City, USA
Buy a tester like this at any hardware store, should be under $10.

GardenerBenderTesterGRT-500A.jpg

Attach the three prong adapter using the screw into the faceplate. Plug the tester into the adapter.

If the tester indicates a problem, have the property owner repair the unsafe outlet promptly.

As to why the portable AC to DC MagSafe adapter does not require a third ground prong but the internal AC power supply in your iMac does... it's a long story, the folks over at IEEE.org would be happy to share the details.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.