2 to 3 prong adapter with iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thopunk, Oct 18, 2007.

1. thopunk macrumors newbie

I just moved into a new apartment and it has a bunch of 2 prong outlets. is it okay to use a 2 to 3 prong adapter with the iMac? my macbookpro adapter has a 2 prong out (as well as the 3 prong on the extension)... it thought it would be okay for the imac. i have it hooked into a surge protector then into the wall (it is the only thing plugged in to the 6 outlet surge though). let me know. thanks!

2. mooncaine macrumors regular

Good question. I don't know, but I'm curious to know.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

My apartment also has nothing but 2-prong outlets. I bought adaptors that convert from 2->3, and you simply screw in the faceplate through a grounding tab on the adaptor. This should be fine for your application. My electronics have been fine running on this. Just make sure that you are well grounded.

4. BikeSDP macrumors newbie

BikeSDP

I'm not an electrician. First check to see if the outlet has a metal box and it's grounded. If so, you should be able to get an adapter that can tie into the ground circuit. I think something like this should do it using the same screw that holds the wall plate:

Attached Files:

• 55_2.jpg
      55_2.jpg
      File size:
      5.1 KB
      Views:
  5. thopunk thread starter macrumors newbie

thats what i have. i need to see if there is a metal box around the actual outlet... what if there isnt?

6. BikeSDP macrumors newbie

BikeSDP

I'm still not an electrician. Ideally the box should be grounded but i guess that would depend on how old the system is. At the very least the bare ground wire coming into the box should be connected to the outlet.
    http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/elect/repairs/outlet/replace.htm

7. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Buy a tester like this at any hardware store, should be under $10.

[​IMG]

Attach the three prong adapter using the screw into the faceplate. Plug the tester into the adapter.

If the tester indicates a problem, have the property owner repair the unsafe outlet promptly.

As to why the portable AC to DC MagSafe adapter does not require a third ground prong but the internal AC power supply in your iMac does... it's a long story, the folks over at IEEE.org would be happy to share the details.