2 unusual questions (battery and case-related)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rafithegreat, Aug 24, 2013.

1. rafithegreat macrumors newbie

Hey there,

Got my MBA 13'' at the beginning of this month and absolutely loving it. I also purchased 2 sleeves (one ACME made, 'open' sleeve for when using it frequently, and another zip-up sleeve for longer period storage).
    I do however have one weird question about the sleeves - what direction is one meant to put in the MBA? Front (open bit) first? Or the other way round? Obviously, it fits both ways, but I don't quite know which way is 'correct'.

Next question is regarding battery life - Is there any way of knowing how long the MBA has been off charge? So I can actually test the battery life once it reaches, say, 1%?

Thanks! :)

2. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

Hey, congratulations on your new MBA. Great laptop! :)

For your first question (and someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong), I think back-first would be slightly better, because the back is the thicker part of the MBA. So, the thicker side would slightly better be able to take the pressure your fingers exert on the MBA when you pull it out.

Not very sure what your first question is asking. Do you mean you want to know how long the battery would last when, for example, you have 1% remaining?

3. rafithegreat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply :)

Re. case/sleeve query, I don't quite understand your answer - do you actually mean that the part closer to the 'exit' of the sleeve should be the thicker part, or vice versa? Meaning, should the back part of the MBA come out first when I slide it out of the sleeve?

Re. second question - no, I would like to know, when say at 1%, how long has the battery been off charge. I can only see how much battery is remaining (and how long it will last), I can't, however, find how long the battery has actually lasted on this cycle - and that is the information I am looking for :)

4. Chandler583 macrumors newbie

I think the OP is asking is: Is there something that is in MBA OSX software to display total time on. I do not know if there is, I am waiting on mine.

As for the sleeve question, I would guess that the back (thicker side) goes in first? Seems more natural to me.

5. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

If your computer goes in sideways and not vertically, I think the best way to do it would be to slide it in thin side first so you can grab on to the thicker back portion when taking it out.

Like so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ3hVLeRQeQ

6. rafithegreat thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, so I've been doing it right - thick side is the but closer to the outside :)

Now, to find a way to figure out how long the MBA has been 'off the plug'.. Anything other than external programmes to do this?

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The ACME sleeve receives the front of your Air such that you see the black, thicker end of your Air at the sleeve's opening.

[​IMG]

8. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

Yep, you got it. :) Back side of the MacBook should come out first.

About the battery question: My guess is, you're doing this to see (for example) if you charge it to 100% and then get down to 1%, you want to see how many hours it lasted you on a full charge.

I Googled it, and found this program called iBatt (Company: Rayner Software). It says it monitors battery usage and lots of other stuff.

Is that something like what you were looking for?

9. rafithegreat thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup that's exactly the type of component I was looking for - just thought Apple had an integrated programme of some sort that could check that for me without installing a third-party application.

10. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

There we go.

From what I know, Macs don't come with an integrated battery monitoring app. But iBatt should work great.

11. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

This information is present in the Activity Monitor of Mavericks:

Plugged in:
    [​IMG]

On battery:
    [​IMG]

12. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

I kind of assumed OP didn't have Mavericks, but this new feature is awesome. Looking forward to App Nap too.