2-USB, 1-Firewire... not enough ports....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stokes, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Stokes macrumors regular

Hey Folks,
    I've had my first Mac for a while now, and while I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing, I do see that I'm getting the hang of some of it.

Here is a problem I didn't think I would have.

None of my peripherals are Firewire based. Everything I use is USB. Currently, I use three, sometimes four USB devices. This would include my external HD, an external wifi antannae (Alfa 036L), a mouse and a memory card reader.

The external HD and the antannae both are powered through the USB ports, and each require (2) inputs to get enough power.... well, this leaves me very, very short of USB ports! I have a cheap 4-way hub, but it doesn't power enough stuff and most of it won't even read through it.

Since I use most of these devices in one place and not when I take my MacBook out of the house, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a powered USB hub that would ease my pains. Is there such thing? The way I understand it, I can't use USB stuff through Firewire (which is going unused).

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!:)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You can get a powered external USB hub such as this one or this one though better ones are probably available.

To find them I just searched for "powered USB hub".