2 Used Mac Pros - Which is better?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by massive3215, Aug 13, 2010.

1. massive3215 macrumors newbie

I have the choice of two Mac Pro’s in my office and was wondering if anyone had any insight into which would better for video work (Final Cut, After Effects, etc.) and Photoshop?

Mac Pro #1
    Quad Core Xeon
    2.8 ghz
    2 Processors
    8 Cores
    4gb RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

Mac Pro #2
    Dual Core Xeon
    3 ghz
    2 Processors
    4 Cores
    4gb RAM
    ATI Radeon X1900 XT

From what I can gather from doing some research, it appears the processor is better on option #1, but the video card is better on option #2. So you think the processor over rules the better video card? Would it be worth taking machine #1 (with 8 cores) and purchasing this improved video card (http://store.apple.com/us/product/M...ode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTA4MzU2NTc&s=topSellers)?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Definitely the #1. GPU can easily be upgraded and both of those GPUs aren't that good anyway.

3. sboerup macrumors 6502

Def #1 for sure. Unless you're doing heavy 3D work, the X1900 XT isn't so great, the 2600xt will be better for most everything else. But, get a 4870 or something else anyway.

4. massive3215 thread starter macrumors newbie

So that ATI Radeon HD 4870 is a worth the price of the upgrade? Or is there another card you would recommend? I didn't see any others that would fit the 2008 Mac Pro listed on the Apple site. Thanks!

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

5770 and 5870 should both work, just wait a week or two for confirmation.

6. massive3215 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean by "wait a week or two for confirmation"?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

People will soon get their new Mac Pros and they can then try the GPUs in older Mac Pros and confirm that they work. The 4870 is bad value unless you buy used or flash a PC card