2 users, no crontab for root, or user, permission issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by upset1234, Mar 24, 2012.

1. upset1234 macrumors newbie

:)Hi I'm returning to MacRumors, with some weird things goinng on in my Mac Book Pro. It's less than 6 months old, and just came back with it's 2nd replacement hard drive (and Logic circuit).

I tried installing my little snitch subscription and that's when a majority issues, like not being able to use iTunes, or safari. began.

I have no other peripherals attached to my box. I use my computer for streaming radio. email, and an occasional music DVD (commercial).

So I'm not prone to downloading things. not even Pdfs.

I never click on email links except for yours.

I ran sudo ps -ax in terminal and it listed quite a bit. I then typed "w" and "last". What listed out was varitions of:

brian ttys000 Sat Mar 24 19:23 still logged in
    brian console Sat Mar 24 17:21 still logged in

as well as:
    19:56 up 2:36, 2 users, load averages: 0.27 0.22 0.19

these are partial reports, that contain more info.

I have no root crontab, or user crontab.
    I am the only user- but with a host of permission issues.

Tech support can't seem to help.
    It's as if something takes over my firewall, or the Sophos anti-virus software.
    I did get a message that a mount point was added, 2 weeks back but don't know what to do.

We use a lengthy random password for WiFi. I use a lengthy password to log on, to no avail.

Any suggestions?
    Am willing to take direction and follow instructions.

upset1234:)

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I run my MBP with no Virus SW and No Firewall. Not really necessary for me because I'm a cautious user.
    Have you uninstalled Little Snitch? http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/faq.html
    Why were you using it in the first place?
    I installed it once just to try it out, it annoyed the hell out of me, so I got rid of it.
    Do you have anything strange in your LaunchAgents Folder?
    Enter "ls ~/Library/LaunchAgents" , is there anything weird in there?
    What about your login items? What do you have running at startup?

Have you tried creating another user account and using it? Do the same problems happen under a brand new account?

Have you ever done a fresh install, then import from the Migration Assistant? Last Resort, but worth a try if all else fails and you have a Time Machine Backup.

3. upset1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

2 users, no crontab for root,or user,permissions issues

:)at.obdev.LittleSnitchNetworkMonitor.plist
    at.obdev.LittleSnitchUIAgent.plist
    com.google.keystone.agent.plist

Are listed in my Launch agents folder, but when I run "ls ~/Library/LaunchAgents" I get nothing. I have tried uninstalling Little Snitch with files remaining, whether I do it command line, or just uninstall.

Nothing in start up, at least there is nothing in that folder.
    I shut off Little snitch, because of my difficulties uninstalling.

Permissions in iTunes when accessing from "get info" has 2 user names of everyone, System, and wheel (Total of 4). I want to correct permissions and get rid of this tty001 and tty000 users from strating in console!

There is a process called login that starts automatically in addition to loginwindow. and it's related to terminal. along with helpd, warmd, and warmdagent.

I can send the full output for "w" and 'Last" if that would be helpful.

The reason I run LS is to stop outgoing connection attempts. With my room mates Iphone for instance, despite having Bluetooth turned off and pairing disabled.

There's no denying my permissions issues and they'are worsened by updates and or disk utility repair attempts. Clean installs are futile, even though migration assistant is shut off. It hangs there and the remaining install bogs down.

At startup and shut down I get the eternal spinning wheel.

I'm sick of it.

Thank you for your help,

Look forward to your suggestions,
    upset1234

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sophos should be avoided, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here.

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Uncheck "Enable Java" in Safari > Preferences > Security. Leave this unchecked until you visit a trusted site that requires Java, then re-enable only for your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Check your DNS settings by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have physical access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
    That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any virus, trojan, spyware, keylogger, or other malware. You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac secure.