2 users on itunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by padcaz123, Jul 22, 2009.

1. padcaz123 macrumors newbie

GOD KNOWS HOW BUT I NOW HAVE A LIBRARY ON MY PHONE THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP
    PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I THROW MY 1 DAY OLD IPHONE AT THE WALL:mad:
    I purchased my iphone yesterday and downloaded the latest edition of itunes etc and plugged my phone into the pc. My wifes itunes library appeared and the phone and itunes told me it was syncing.At the end of the sync my ipod function on my iphone is still empty. Is there anyway i can have my own itunes, ie empty until i add to it.
    I have been warned that if i wipe my wife's itunes it will cost me a body part or 2!!
    PLEASE HELP I'm DESPERATE,
    Thanks in advance
    Jason South Wales UK

2. muledogus macrumors 6502

If you're on a mac, AFTER clicking the itunes icon hold down the option button, this will allow you to create or select a new library. You and your wife will be able to switch back and forth, just hold down option after clicking the icon every time and you'll be set. On a PC it's probably the Ctrl or Alt button.

3. padcaz123 thread starter macrumors newbie

No didn't work, i was able to create my own playlist but after syncing my ipod is empty.
    Thanks anyway, any more ideas
    Jason

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Either:

A) Share an iTunes account with your wife. (This is what I do.) Any music, movies, or apps you or she buy can be used by both of you on the computer and can be transfered to any iPhones or iPods you both have.

or

B) Make a seperate account on the computer for each of you. It's possible to have multiple libraries within one account, but it just gets confusing to deal with. Just log in and out of each of your computer accounts and treat them as seperate computers. You won't have her music and she won't have yours. If you each have an iPhone you'll have to buy apps twice instead of just once.

- - - - -

I highly suggest option 'A' but you can use 'B' if you really want to.

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Just put your phone in manual mode, then you can use only waht songs u want

6. padcaz123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried sharing when i open her itunes and plug my iphone in itines says it's syncing but after that still no music in my iphone

7. padcaz123 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do i do that please

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Are you on a Mac or a PC?

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Did you make playlists and select them in the 'Music' section of the iPhone window when it's plugged in?

10. padcaz123 thread starter macrumors newbie

PC

11. padcaz123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I made a playlist in itunes when the iphone was not plugged in, then i plugged it in and it said it was syncing, once that was complete i looked the ipod section of the iphone and it was empty

12. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

What files types are your music, are they mp3, aac, or wmp? you can find out by right clicking on a song and selecting get info.

If I remember correctly, itunes for windows will play wmp files by the iphone wont so they wouldn't copy over.

13. padcaz123 thread starter macrumors newbie

aac and mp3

14. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Hmm, okay, well there goes that idea.

If you turn on Manually manage music and videos on the iphone settings in itunes and then drag and drop some songs onto the iphone do they show up on the iphone?

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Did you actually choose the playlist by manually clicking the little checkbox?

That's a critical part that's not in your description.

16. t22design macrumors regular

Have you told it to sync music?

In this example I have playlists in iTunes called:

'Purchased'
    'Emma's iPod'
    'iPhone'
    'iPod Shuffle'
    'Voice Memos'

I put all the music I want on my iPhone into the 'iPhone' playlist. It then syncs the music when I plug in my iPhone. (it can be any playlist, called anything you like).

Attached Files:

17. richdog1414 macrumors newbie

My fiance and I both use the same cpu with two seperate itunes accts. I have created another user to log in when i boot up the cpu. That way she has all her own settings and she has her own itunes library and I have mine. It workd perfectly!!

18. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

On the summery page, Manually Manage Music and Videos.

Attached Files: