2 versions of pages

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lou!se, Apr 29, 2017.

?

How can I get an icon permanently on my dock for Pages 5.6.1 instead of Pages'09 4.3?

This poll will close on Nov 29, 2017 at 8:57 AM.
  1. Easily

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Difficult

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Impossible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lou!se macrumors newbie

Lou!se

2 pages on my iMac - Pages '09 4.3 & pages 5.6.1. The first always is in my program bar but the icon for 5.6.1 disappears. When I save from my document, then try to reopen it an error message appears "an index .xmlfile is missing"
    Would someone help me so out my problem, PLEASE!
    --- Post Merged, Apr 29, 2017 ---
    Am not able to retrieve saved documents in Pages

2. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

Tell us what is in your Application Folder? Have you upgraded to the latest version of Pages 6.1.1??

Do that, make sure it is in Applications, and delete any other version. Then simply drag the icon of 6.1.1 to the Dock. The Dock is an alias, or simply a shortcut to Pages.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

QUESTION:

Are BOTH COPIES of Pages (in your applications folder) named [simply] "Pages"?

IF that's the case, RENAME them (using the finder).

Rename Pages 4.3 to "Pages 4.3".
    Rename Pages 5.6.1 to "Pages 5.6.1"

Changing the name of the app won't hurt it -- it will still run as it always has.

Once you do this, you -might- be able to have icons for both versions in the dock.

4. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

This line of AppleScript will open whatever app you type in the quoted text:
    Code:
    tell application "Calendar" to activate
    If you save it as an App, you can paste any icon you want onto it thru Get Info, then drag it into your dock.
    If your second copy of Pages is in an odd location, you'll have to add its path to the line of code.