2 Watches & 2 Phones - 1 person

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by 0970373, Oct 7, 2017.

1. 0970373 Suspended

If this isn't an extremely first world problem, I don't know what is. lol

OK so I'll start with the fact that I have 2 iPhones - my main (currently the 8+) and the backup (SE). I swap SIMs here and there when I want to carry the smaller phone. I'd say, once a month + when I travel. TMO SIM goes into SE and I use my Three SIM in the main phone for faster data and local calls/texts.

I also have a S2 Apple Watch, which I love. I've not had any problems with swapping SIMs or syncing the Watch to the main phone at this point. But now I am considering getting the S3 LTE Watch and am wondering how this will work if I swap SIMs. I think when I travel I have to turn the LTE off anyway so it won't matter but wondering if anyone in the US has dealt w/ this issue yet?

To be clear, I would want to be able to use the S2 or S3 watch as needed on a particular day/activity + be able to switch between phones. I'm asking too much of technology, aren't I. :/

2. Applemacfan Suspended

I tested two LTE Watch with 1 phone, the situation is different than yours but here is how it works with T-Mobile.
    The eSim(T-Mobile called it DIGITS) is tied to your phone number, the number you used to setup the LTE Watch. Therefore you should be able to do that without issue(taking calls and messages while you are away from your phones).

On the watch side, the Watch app will let you select which watch to pair if you have two watches, it even will Auto switch (it detects which watch you are wearing at that time).

I hope this information might help you a little!

3. 0970373 thread starter Suspended

Thanks so much for your reply! I have TMobile also so I guess It'll be Digits for me as well if I do this. So the phone # on the watch in tied to the *number* not the iPhone. BUT - Data is synced to the iPhone it is paired with regardless of the SIM that is currently in there.

Is that correct? I guess I could order the Watch and try it out and see if ti all does what I want it to. The waiting period is like 4-6 weeks now I think :(

4. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Both the physical SIM in your iPhone and the eSIM in the watch are "bonded" in a way. If you don't have the SIM associated with the eSIM in your paired iPhone then you won't be able to receive calls or SMS messages on the Watch.

Do you have Wifi calling setup on both of your iPhones?

The "rub" here is that if you go through the pain of unpairing and pairing the watch with whichever iPhone you have the "bonded" SIM in, then it should work perfectly with that device.
    Break that association and it'll act just like an S2 watch. (well, the wifi calling will likely get messed up :) )

5. 0970373 thread starter Suspended

OK. Thanks for this. I will play around w/ it once I receive the watch and see what happens. Does turning off the LTE break the bond and then reestablish it when I turn it back on? Or is that a permanent thing that requires a call to TMO to rebond?

6. Applemacfan Suspended

Turning off the LTE will not unlink them.