2 watches same ID

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by azfalcons, Mar 2, 2016.

1. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

Hey all. He wife and now have 2 watches on be same Apple ID. Everything works great. Only issue, and it's a small one is the sketches go to both watches when we send them. So I "tap" her and she gets it and I get it. Is there a fix to stop this?

Thanks

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

The fix is to use separate Apple ID for iCloud.

3. CobraPA macrumors 6502

Now with family sharing it's easier to have multiple id's share apps (in most cases), so you need to split the ids for that. Don't you also get the same text messages, not just the sketches?

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Ditto all above. I had my entire family on a single Apple ID for app purchases and then individual IDs for iMessage back in the day. When Apple introduced family sharing, I put everyone on their own individual Apple IDs for everything. It works great, and I highly recommend it. Your iMessage traffic must be a mess.

5. azfalcons thread starter Suspended

azfalcons

last night playing with the watches we were only getting sketches and taps. We were NOT getting the same texts as well. I don't mind making me a different iCloud but then it becomes a pain in the butt to redownload music apps etc, then have to go into the cloud and find the song once the wife downloads something from the same account. Or am I wrong here. Under send and receive we have only each number/email under our on phone if that makes sense

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

It is worth the effort. After you do the split, you get the music automatically (as far as I can remember). And, the other plus is that you do not get the apps, unless you want them. It is a pretty good implementation. The only real downside is that you sometimes need to delete and then re-download certain apps that do not behave well with the jump to family sharing, but that was a minimal impact.

Though, this begs another observation... It appears that the watch may associate its sketch function with the Apple Store ID and not the iMessage ID. If that is true, that is stupid. But splitting to family sharing will fix it.

7. azfalcons thread starter Suspended

azfalcons

On I may have to look into it. My kids have several clouds and they have to go into purchases>my name under cloud>then look for the song.

I'll research a little more.

8. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I have three people all using sharing in my household and two watches under my roof. Everything works perfectly. (It is one of the few software things that Apple got right on the first try.)

9. azfalcons thread starter Suspended

azfalcons

it looks like when people download we just have to go find it ourself where as right now they automatically go to our phones (wife and I). I honestly don't mind that we get the same sketch but nothing else shares so thats fine. I will look into a seperate account as well

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

People need to stop using the same Apple ID on multiple devices. It creates havoc on the Apple eco-system. I remember one guy who entered his and his wife's fingerprint on the touchID as 1 fingerprint o_O

11. azfalcons thread starter Suspended

azfalcons

I don't consider sketches going to the same I'd "havoc". It's not like texts or phone calls etc are going to both watches

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I didn't say it caused you havoc. It's just not a good practice that's all :)

13. azfalcons, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016

azfalcons thread starter Suspended

azfalcons

I know. So the wife went and created her own cloud account and is now under me as family.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 3, 2016 ---
    Well the wife is under her account under my family sharing and I still get the pins and taps when I send them to her. So what happens is when I send a tap or sketch, it comes back to me showing a tap from my own number is whatever she sends

14. nicho macrumors 68000

How is that even possible?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 4, 2016 ---
    As well as creating a new iCloud id she probably needs to sign into it for iMessage?

And/or you still have your own email in her contact

And/or you need to remove and re add her on your friend wheel.

15. CobraPA macrumors 6502

Maybe you need to re-pair one of the watches? They connect to iCloud themselves now... not sure what controls that connection on the watch side.

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

add finger print > alternate your finger print with someone else's for the same slot. I don't think iOS stops you and says "hey that's not your finger print!". It just records the finger print.

17. azfalcons thread starter Suspended

azfalcons

When my tap came back with my number I just blocked it lol

18. nicho macrumors 68000

I don't see how it would work and build up an accurate map of a finger :/ the number of times its failed on me on the second stage means it must be looking for something vaguely specific.

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

exactly and the guy was complaining that touchID wasn't working well for him. Took us a while to get that info out of him.

20. nicho macrumors 68000

I assume he didn't realise he could just add his and then add hers.

21. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I guess not.

22. nicho macrumors 68000

Huh

23. azfalcons thread starter Suspended

azfalcons

When I sent a sketch to my wife it went to her then came back to me from my number so I just blocked it (my number)

24. nicho macrumors 68000

Surely she won't be able to tap you either then. That seems like an odd fix. Did you try the other ideas

25. azfalcons thread starter Suspended

azfalcons

Actually I haven't missed a text from her or several other people. I will visit Apple for a visit to find a better fix. I'm sure it's a cloud issue